Wurzbach Nursing & Rehabilitation is a large facility located in San Antonio, Texas. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of C. A grade in this range requires some solid scores. Based on our assessment, there are definitely far worse nursing homes out there. The best part of this facility's profile was is its inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Wurzbach Nursing & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
8300 Wurzbach Rd,
San Antonio TX 78229
51.64% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home outperformed its overall score in the area of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that area with an A-. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to resident safety or health. A few minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's short-term care rating ended up being one of its best features. The facility received a grade of C in this category. In our short-term care assessment, we endeavor to forge a valuable barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze the facility's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Wurzbach Nursing & Rehabilitation?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of C. Nursing grades are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures. While this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of these quality metrics. With less than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it did very well in this statistic. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning residents more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we rated was long-term care, which was a weak spot for this facility. We gave this nursing home a grade of just D in long-term care. In a long-term care environment, the primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 98.97611 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wurzbach Nursing & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wurzbach Nursing & Rehabilitation, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wurzbach Nursing & Rehabilitation, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients which have suffered a fall resulting in severe injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wurzbach Nursing & Rehabilitation, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who have suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wurzbach Nursing & Rehabilitation, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wurzbach Nursing & Rehabilitation, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wurzbach Nursing & Rehabilitation, 4.81% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. High rates of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wurzbach Nursing & Rehabilitation, 94.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wurzbach Nursing & Rehabilitation, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wurzbach Nursing & Rehabilitation, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wurzbach Nursing & Rehabilitation, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 61 other nursing homes
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 0.55 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.74 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.03 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of San AntonioAcute Care Hospitals 1.4 miles away9522 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 478-5400
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Hospital NwAcute Care Hospitals 1.44 miles away9150 Huebner Rd Suite 100 San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 575-5000
- Legent Orthopedic + SpineAcute Care Hospitals 5.15 miles away5330 North Loop 1604 West San Antonio Texas 78249Proprietary(717) 620-2424
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.65 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 7.72 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- University Health System Children's Kidney Center0.66 miles away4502 Medical Drive Ms 111-1 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 8 (210) 358-8309
- Kidney Treatment Center Northwest Pa0.89 miles away3939 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 692-3075
- Bma Northwest Bexar County0.94 miles away5131 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (210) 338-7742
- Northwest Medical Center Dialysis1.01 miles away5284 Medical Drive Suite 135 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 616-9699
- Floyd Curl Dialysis1.32 miles away9238 Floyd Curl Drive, Suite 102 San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 561-4373
- Lockehill Kidney Disease Clinic1.52 miles away10134 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 641-6000
- Usrc Medical Center, LLC1.87 miles away4511 Nw Loop 410 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (210) 541-0273
- Us Renal Care Bandera Road Dialysis3.4 miles away7831 Westchase San Antonio Texas 78238Dialysis Stations: 25 (210) 682-1300