Senior Care of Onion Creek is in the large metropolitan area of Austin, Texas which has a population of 940,359 people. We gave this nursing home a C overall, which isn't a bad score. This is comparable with the city grade in Austin, which is a B-. You could definitely do worse than this nursing home. One of the best aspects of this facility's report card is its remarkable inspection grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Senior Care of Onion Creek
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was not bad, it really fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more impressive category scores came in the category of long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B+. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 95.09804 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly can be a life or death health condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Senior Care of Onion Creek?
Short-term Care Quality
As it turns out, this facility only earned a D for its short-term care rating, which is not a score to write home about. In the category of short-term care, we strive to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Considering its grade in this category, we were not stunned to learn that this nursing home is well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Finally, we considered the number of residents who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 5.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
The final category we looked at was nursing, which ended up being this facility's least impressive category. We gave it an F for this area, which is clearly very disappointing. Our nursing category includes many data points, most of which are associated with nursing hours. This place provided only 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is not a very impressive figure. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This facility fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Senior Care of Onion Creek Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Senior Care of Onion Creek, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Senior Care of Onion Creek, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Senior Care of Onion Creek, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients that have experienced a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Senior Care of Onion Creek, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Senior Care of Onion Creek, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Senior Care of Onion Creek, 4.81% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Increased rates of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Senior Care of Onion Creek, 94.64% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Senior Care of Onion Creek, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Senior Care of Onion Creek, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental health.
In Senior Care of Onion Creek, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Senior Care of Onion Creek, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Senior Care of Onion Creek, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Senior Care of Onion Creek, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Austin, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Austin, Texas has 25 other nursing homes
- St David's South Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away901 West Ben White Blvd Austin Texas 78704Proprietary(512) 448-7107
- Seton Southwest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8 miles away7900 Fm 1826 Austin Texas 78737Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-9000
- Arise Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.14 miles away3003 Bee Caves Road Austin Texas 78746Voluntary non-profit - Other(512) 347-9888
- Seton Medical Center HaysAcute Care Hospitals 9.51 miles away6001 Kyle Pkwy Kyle Texas 78640Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-5000
- Dell Seton Med Center at the University of TxAcute Care Hospitals 10.27 miles away601 E 15th Street Austin Texas 78701Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-7000
- The Hospital at Westlake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.79 miles away5656 Bee Caves Road, Suite M-302 Austin Texas 78746Proprietary(512) 327-0000
- St David's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.41 miles away919 E 32nd St Austin Texas 78705Proprietary(512) 476-7111
- Ascension Seton Medical Center AustinAcute Care Hospitals 12.01 miles away1201 W 38th St Austin Texas 78705Physician(512) 324-1000
- Satellite Healthcare of South Austin1.72 miles away10001 South Ih 35 Bldg 1 Ste 100 Austin Texas 78747CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (512) 282-8500
- South Austin Dialysis LLC4.93 miles away6114 South 1st Street Austin Texas 78745CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 447-8500
- Satellite Dialysis Southwood6.15 miles away1701 W. Ben White Blvd, Suite #180 Austin Texas 78704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (512) 383-0300
- Fresenius Medical Care Austin South6.2 miles away621 Radam Ln Austin Texas 78745CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 707-7601
- El Milagro Dialysis Center7.08 miles away2800 S Ih 35 Suite 120 Austin Texas 78704CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 448-9750
- Bio-Medical Applications of Texas, Inc.9.35 miles away5895 Kyle Parkway Kyle Texas 78640Dialysis Stations: 17 (512) 268-2428
- Hill Country Dialysis9.57 miles away1250 Dacy Lane Kyle Texas 78640Dialysis Stations: 14 (512) 268-2523
- Satellite Healthcare Kyle11.19 miles away134 Elmhurst Drive Kyle Texas 78640Dialysis Stations: 22 (512) 268-3100