Seneca Place is a nursing home located in Verona, Pennsylvania, a city with a population of 17,395 people. This nursing home is an A rated facility. This nursing home was given one of the highest grades that we offer. A score of this caliber requires top-notch scores across the board. In fact, this facility has the prestigious distinction of being one of the 100 best nursing homes in Pennsylvania. This is an impressive accomplishment in a state with a long list of high-end nursing homes. Headlining this nursing home's exemplary report card is its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Arguably the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. Our nursing rating is mostly tied to the facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Seneca Place?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on our next category, we gave this facility a grade of A- for its long-term care grade. This is a very impressive score. For residents in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 69.42675 percent of its residents. This is a few points lower than we expected but still a reasonably acceptable percentage. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
In the final category we graded, this nursing home was awarded a very favorable grade of A- in our short-term care category. With this grade, the facility rounded out a straight A report card. Our short-term care grade is often employed to measure a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To offer highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to offer better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 5.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Seneca Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Seneca Place, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Seneca Place, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents which suffered a fall which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Seneca Place, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Seneca Place, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Seneca Place, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Seneca Place, 3.23% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts believe this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Seneca Place, 88.5% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Seneca Place, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Seneca Place, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Seneca Place, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Seneca Place, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Seneca Place, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Seneca Place, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 3.15 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 5.04 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- Forbes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away2570 Haymaker Road Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 858-2000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.91 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 7.07 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 7.15 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 8.41 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.91 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Davita - Penn Hills Dialysis1.24 miles away202 Rodi Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (412) 371-1102
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Penn Hills1.3 miles away11624 Keleket Drive Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235Dialysis Stations: 13 (412) 244-3931
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Point Breeze3.81 miles away7620 Meade Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221Dialysis Stations: 22 (412) 247-5223
- Davita - East End Pittsburgh3.85 miles away7714 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 241-6790
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Harmar Village4.3 miles away725 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 823-5422
- Davita - Harmarville Dialysis4.32 miles away791 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 13 (724) 274-9281
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Five Points4.7 miles away2534 Monroeville Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Dialysis Stations: 18 (412) 823-5422
- Davita Monroeville Dialysis4.7 miles away2690 Monroeville Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (412) 856-5950