With more than 25 options having an address in Chicago, Illinois, Selfhelp Home of Chicago is one of many nursing homes. Sporting an overall rating of A+, this facility is among the most elite nursing homes we assessed. In fact, we ranked this nursing home number 218 in the country. This puts it in the top two percentile of all nursing homes. Headlining this facility's exemplary report card is its inspection grade, which is addressed in the next section.
Selfhelp Home of Chicago
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Radiation Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with better grades in this area most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This place was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to alert you to the fact that this nursing home performed remarkably in our short-term care category. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this area. In our short-term care category, we seek to forge a valuable barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze a facility's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Selfhelp Home of Chicago?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on our next area, this nursing home was awarded an excellent long-term care score. In fact, we awarded it a score of A in that category. Facilities that do well in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia can be a deadly ailment for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Moving on to our next area, this facility also performed well in the nursing category. In fact, we gave it an A in that category. This wrapped up truly elite report card. Our nursing grade is based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Selfhelp Home of Chicago Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Selfhelp Home of Chicago, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percent of long-term residents who suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Selfhelp Home of Chicago, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are often the result of poor nursing care. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Selfhelp Home of Chicago, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Selfhelp Home of Chicago, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Selfhelp Home of Chicago, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Selfhelp Home of Chicago, 29.8% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. High rates of depression could imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Selfhelp Home of Chicago, 87.49% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Selfhelp Home of Chicago, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Selfhelp Home of Chicago, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility. Some believe that the ability to move around is critical to patients well-being.
In Selfhelp Home of Chicago, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Selfhelp Home of Chicago, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Selfhelp Home of Chicago, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Selfhelp Home of Chicago, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living usually correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 0.24 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.52 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 0.92 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.3 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.34 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 2.86 miles away2900 North Lake Shore Drive Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 665-3000
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.86 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Fmc - Uptown0.43 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis0.65 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105
- Fmc - Northcenter Dialysis2.8 miles away2620 W. Addison St. Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 248-0462
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.2.83 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100
- Davita - Lincoln Park Nephrology Assn, Sc3.55 miles away2484 N. Elston Ave Chicago Illinois 60647CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (773) 278-4403
- Fmc - Rogers Park3.62 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis3.94 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714
- Fmc - West Willow4.13 miles away1444 W. Willow St. Chicago Illinois 60642Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 772-4079