Atlantic Shores is a nursing home located in Virginia Beach, Virginia which has a population of 437,994 people. Featuring an overall rating of B+, this is ranked among the five highest rated nursing homes in the city. Even in a city offering 11 other nursing homes, this nursing home looks like a great option. Fortunately, this facility did not have any weak links in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Virginia Beach senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Virginia Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to faring well in its overall grade, this nursing home received high marks in our short-term care category as well. It received our highest score in that category with an A+. Short-term care grades are important for people seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a wide spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Adding to its impressive grades, we gave this nursing home an A for our inspections rating. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively insignificant. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies an immediate risk to patient health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Atlantic Shores?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. The nursing score weighs many components, most of which are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving a patient even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we rated is long-term care. In this area, we gave this nursing home a decent grade of C. This actually ended up being this facility's least impressive category. Long-term care grades are essential for individuals looking for non-healthcare services such as personal care. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable datapoint. This nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Atlantic Shores Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Atlantic Shores, 16.07% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Atlantic Shores, 4.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who suffered falls which caused major injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Atlantic Shores, 1.56% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a UTI. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Atlantic Shores, 10.45% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Atlantic Shores, 19.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Atlantic Shores, 0% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Atlantic Shores, 100% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Atlantic Shores, 12.5% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Atlantic Shores, 20.84% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Atlantic Shores, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Atlantic Shores, 20.84% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Atlantic Shores, 13.72% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Atlantic Shores, 84.83% of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Virginia Beach, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Virginia Beach, Virginia has 10 other nursing homes
- Sentara Virginia Beach General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away1060 First Colonial Road Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 395-8000
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.15 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.71 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.93 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 17.98 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 18.08 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.23 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Oceana Dialysis1.02 miles away1375 Oceana Boulevard Suite 114 Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 963-8521
- Fresenius Medical Care Nimmo Parkway5.05 miles away2476 Nimmo Parkway Suite 109 Virginia Beach Virginia 23456Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 430-1936
- Fmc - First Colonial5.4 miles away933 First Colonial Rd Suite 112 Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Dialysis Stations: 21 (757) 428-1869
- Camelot Dialysis Center6.14 miles away1800 Camelot Dr Ste 100 Virginia Beach Virginia 23454CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (757) 481-6879
- Princess Anne Dialysis7.34 miles away3973 Holland Rd Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 340-3526
- Fmc - Virginia Beach8.34 miles away525 S Independence Blvd Ste 150 Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 687-7902
- Davita - Virginia Beach9.45 miles away740 Independence Cir Virginia Beach Virginia 23455CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 499-1301
- Stines Dialysis LLC10.53 miles away230 Clearfield Ave Ste 106 Virginia Beach Virginia 23462Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 518-9439