NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View is a very-large government-owned facility in Staten Island, New York. This facility is among the highest-graded facilities we assessed. A grade in this range requires first-rate scores across the board. Indeed, we were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it substantially ahead of the vast majority of the facilities in Staten Island. As you can see below, this place performed equally well in our category ratings. We give this place two thumbs up!
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Staten Island senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - City
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Staten Island, New York Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Staten Island, New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out the fact that this facility has received near flawless government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this area. Inspection scores are tied to pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this category tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in that category. Our nursing grade is mostly based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View ?
Short-term Care Quality
We also want to alert you to the fact that this facility received a dominant grade of A- in our short-term care area. Short-term care grades are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed is long-term care, where this facility was given an A-. This topped off a first-rate profile. Few facilities earned an A- or better in in each area we assessed. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are well cared for. Once we concluded our assessment of the volume of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 96.49123 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly is often a life threatening condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View , 7.93% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View , 0.97% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term stay patients that have suffered a fall resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View , 1.09% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care residents that have suffered from a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View , 9.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many medical conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View , 10.72% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View , 2.86% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View , 97.52% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View , 8.6% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View , 10.27% of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility.
In NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View , 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View , 10.27% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View , 7.29% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In NYC Health + Hospitals/Sea View , 83.82% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Staten Island, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Staten Island, New York has 9 other nursing homes
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.59 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.27 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.28 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.81 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 8.19 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.79 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.99 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Island Rehabilitative Services-Clove Lakes Extension1.19 miles away25 Fanning Street Staten Island New York 10314Dialysis Stations: 8 (347) 671-8399
- Staten Island Dialysis Clinic/ Akc1.71 miles away1550 Richmond Ave. Suite 101 Staten Island New York 10314CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (718) 983-7000
- Davita Richmond Kidney at Home1.98 miles away1366 Victory Boulevard Staten Island New York 10301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 816-6200
- Carol Molinaro Dialysis Center2.41 miles away800 Castleton Avenue Suite G Staten Island New York 10310CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (718) 816-6455
- Island Rehabilitative Services, Inc.2.59 miles away470 Seaview Avenue Dialysis Unit Staten Island New York 10305CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 987-5942
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc2.87 miles away1139 Hylan Blvd Staten Island New York 10305Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 816-4913
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.4.34 miles away30 Sneden Ave Staten Island New York 10312Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 356-2678
- Trinitas Livingston St4.6 miles awayDialysis Unit 629 Livingston St Elizabethport New Jersey 07206Dialysis Stations: 14 (908) 994-7011