Schoellkopf Health Center is one of only three available facilities in Niagara Falls, New York. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B+. A score of this caliber requires above average marks in most areas. This actually is the best nursing home in Niagara Falls. This facility is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Schoellkopf Health Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its favorable overall score, we awarded this nursing home an A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection grades account for several factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this area tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, this nursing home also received favorable long-term care scores this year. In fact, we gave them one of our stronger scores in that area, with a score of B+. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Schoellkopf Health Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a strong short-term care score as well. We gave it one of our higher scores in that category with a score of B. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this facility submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
The next area we scored is nursing, in which this facility was awarded a grade of B-. This proved to be this facility's least impressive area. This is nevertheless not the end of the world. The nursing rating analyzes quite a few subcategories, many of which are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Schoellkopf Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Schoellkopf Health Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who developed pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Schoellkopf Health Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Schoellkopf Health Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percent of long-term stay residents who have experienced urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Schoellkopf Health Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Schoellkopf Health Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Schoellkopf Health Center, 13.2% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Schoellkopf Health Center, 91.26% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Schoellkopf Health Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Schoellkopf Health Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Schoellkopf Health Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Schoellkopf Health Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Schoellkopf Health Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Schoellkopf Health Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Niagara Falls Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away621 Tenth Street Niagara Falls New York 14302Voluntary non-profit - Other(716) 278-4000
- Mount St Mary's Hospital and Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.39 miles away5300 Military Road Lewiston New York 14092Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 297-4800
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.73 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.16 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.96 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 16.28 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Eastern Niagara HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.89 miles away521 East Avenue Lockport New York 14094Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 514-5700
- Davita Niagara Falls Kidney Center0.04 miles away621 10th Street Niagara Falls New York 14301Dialysis Stations: 17 (716) 278-4639
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wheatfield3.28 miles away3909 Forest Parkway North Tonawanda New York 14120Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 696-6193
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Niagara3.3 miles away3018 Military Road Niagara Falls New York 14304Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 298-4195
- Niagara Dialysis Center3.32 miles away2932 Military Road Niagara Falls New York 14304Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 297-4059
- Davita Northtowns Dialysis Center11.18 miles away4041 Delaware Avenue Ste 150 Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (716) 871-8103
- Us Renal Care Tonawanda Dialysis12 miles away3161 Eggert Road Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 832-0159
- Fms-Kenmore Artificial Kidney Center12.83 miles away1508 Sheridan Drive Buffalo New York 14217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 871-9988
- Liberty Rc, Inc.13.14 miles away699 Hertel Ave Buffalo New York 14207Dialysis Stations: 17 (716) 871-4172