Scandinavian Home is a senior living facility located in Providence, Rhode Island, a city with 203,571 people. Featuring an overall rating of A+, this nursing home is without a doubt a world class facility. In fact, this nursing home has the prestigious distinction of being one of the top 10 facilities in Rhode Island. We also gave this facility impressive scores in all four of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1811 Broad Street,
Providence RI 02905
81.21% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first rate nursing home overall, this nursing home also performed well in the area of long-term care, where it earned an A+. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care tend to provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 99.01961 percent of its residents, which is far higher than most nursing homes. The last statistic we looked at is the facility's hospitalization rate. Here we found that this place had 3.65 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Although this admittedly wasn't as strong as some of its other scores in this area, this number may be skewed for some facilities due to the preexisting medical conditions of residents.
In addition, this nursing home also earned a nearly flawless government inspection report. As a result, it earned one of our best grades in that category with an A. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with better scores in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This means the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Scandinavian Home?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A. Nursing grades are based largely on nurse staffing levels. This particular nursing home provided 3.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at a few quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place excelled in these areas, with excellent scores for minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. These areas are generally reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Short-term Care Quality
In our final area, we awarded this facility a grade of A for our short-term care grade. This completed a very impressive profile. Our short-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a vast scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. When we assessed this facility's nursing hours, we found it offered more care from registered nurses than most nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who returned to the community from this facility. It outperformed the vast majority of nursing homes in the nation with 58.3 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Scandinavian Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Scandinavian Home, 7.16% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Scandinavian Home, 3.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Scandinavian Home, 2.93% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Scandinavian Home, 16.51% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Scandinavian Home, 14.9% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Scandinavian Home, 2.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Scandinavian Home, 95.31% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Scandinavian Home, 17.11% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some believe that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Scandinavian Home, 22.91% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who retained mobility levels.
In Scandinavian Home, 1.19 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Scandinavian Home, 22.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Scandinavian Home, 10.73 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Scandinavian Home, 79.33% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Providence, RI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Providence, Rhode Island has 7 other nursing homes
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 2.07 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 2.43 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.51 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.37 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.27 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.23 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Dialysis Center of Providence2.39 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital3.22 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital3.27 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of East Providence3.63 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Nna of Providence4.69 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Fresenius Medical Care of Warwick5.5 miles away2814 Post Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (401) 738-4050
- Dialysis Center of Johnston6.29 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400
- Davita North Providence Renal Center6.66 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340