With an address in Providence, Rhode Island, Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing is one of six available nursing homes there. Sporting an overall grade of A, this is clearly an elite nursing home. Indeed, we were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it substantially ahead of the vast majority of the nursing homes in Providence. This facility also received consistently good scores in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
1811 Broad Street,
Providence RI 02905
84.86% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a great overall score, this facility also received an excellent long-term care grade, with an A. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 98.64253 percent of its patients, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
This facility has earned near flawless government inspections recently. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. Our inspection scores are tied to many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent government inspections. Places that score well in this category have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. Our nursing category weighs many subcategories, most of which are tied to nursing hours. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our next category, this facility also excelled in the short-term care category. In fact, we gave it a grade of B+ in that area. This rounded out a very strong profile. Our short-term care ratings are believed to be most meaningful for folks in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not only nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that developed new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing, 4.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing, 2.86% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who sustained UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric may also be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing, 19.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing, 15.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing, 2.02% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing, 93.99% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing, 16.08% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing, 17.13% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility. Some would argue that mobility is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing, 17.13 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing, 13.94 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Scandinavian Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing, 77.03% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Providence, RI
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Providence, Rhode Island has 5 other nursing homes
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 2.07 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 2.43 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.51 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.37 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.27 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.23 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Dialysis Center of Providence2.39 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital3.22 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital3.27 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of East Providence3.63 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Nna of Providence4.69 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Fresenius Medical Care of Warwick5.5 miles away2814 Post Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (401) 738-4050
- Dialysis Center of Johnston6.29 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400
- Davita North Providence Renal Center6.66 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340