Scalabrini Villa is located in North Kingstown, Rhode Island, a city with a population of 22,551 people. With an overall grade of B+, this nursing home is one of the top 50 facilities in Rhode Island. You can definitely do much worse than this place. Lastly, this nursing home's ownership changed in the last year, so we will need to monitor it to confirm it maintains its high level of care.
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
860 North Quidesset Road,
North Kingstown RI 02852
61.5% estimated occupancy 1
Please note our records indicate that Scalabrini Villa has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place is a strong nursing home is that it earned an impressive inspection rating. In fact, inspections turned out to be its best category. In this category, we awarded this facility an A. Inspection grades are tied to pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of long-term care. We gave them one of our stronger grades in that area, with a grade of B+. When facilities receive this type of grade in this category it is usually a good sign for resident care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 95.132744 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a great way to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations for the senior population. This facility also keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 1.31 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days.
Does this page answer your questions about Scalabrini Villa?
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, this nursing home also was given favorable short-term care scores in our assessment. Indeed, we gave them one of our better grades in that area, with a score of B+. In the area of short-term care, we try to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. One of this nursing home's strengths is registered nurse hours. We found that it offers more care from registered nurses to its residents than most facilities. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents that were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that it fared as well as just about any facility in this area with 57 percent of its patients returning home. Most nursing homes are below 50 percent in this area.
The final category we assessed was nursing. We awarded this nursing home one of our better grades in this area, with a grade of B. This facility turned out to be relatively strong in all areas we analyzed. The nursing score assesses a handful of components, however, the main consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided 3.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at certain nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these areas as good indicators of the caliber of nursing care provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Scalabrini Villa Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Scalabrini Villa, 7.16% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Scalabrini Villa, 3.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients who sustained falls resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Scalabrini Villa, 2.93% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Scalabrini Villa, 16.51% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Scalabrini Villa, 14.9% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Scalabrini Villa, 2.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Scalabrini Villa, 95.31% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Scalabrini Villa, 17.11% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Scalabrini Villa, 22.91% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Scalabrini Villa, 1.19 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Scalabrini Villa, 22.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Scalabrini Villa, 10.73 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Scalabrini Villa, 79.33% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 11.13 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Newport HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.5 miles away11 Friendship Street Newport Rhode Island 02840Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 846-6400
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 11.95 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.09 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.59 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.81 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.91 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Fresenius Medical Care of Warwick4.93 miles away2814 Post Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (401) 738-4050
- Dialysis Center of West Warwick5.31 miles away1775 Bald Hill Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (401) 823-8420
- Dialysis Center of Providence11.72 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital12.52 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital12.75 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of East Providence12.84 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Dialysis Center of Johnston13.69 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400
- Dialysis Center of Tiverton13.91 miles away22 Hurst Lane Tiverton Rhode Island 02878Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 624-4403