Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home is one of eight facilities in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. This nursing home received a concerning overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. This nursing home seems to have very little working in its favor. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category is inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home overall, we gave it a grade of B- for our inspections rating. This score is more respectable than this place's overall grade. Inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. Nursing grades are primarily based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is significantly below the national average. Finally, although this nursing home got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of our quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this area.
Does this page answer your questions about Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we analyzed is short-term care, where this facility was given a grade of B- in this category. In crafting our short-term care scores, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to create a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than a typical facility. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents that were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 4.8 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Our final category is long-term care, where we gave this facility a grade of B- in that category. In forming these long-term care scores, we analyze the facility's personal care services. One of the factors we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Fortunately, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents who developed pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who experienced a fall which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home, 3.12% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients showing depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home, 88.22% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who retained mobility levels.
In Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sarah A. Todd Memorial Home, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Carlisle, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Carlisle, Pennsylvania has 7 other nursing homes
- Carlisle Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.31 miles away361 Alexander Spring Road Carlisle Pennsylvania 17015Proprietary(717) 249-1212
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.57 miles awayFourth and Walnut Streets Lebanon Pennsylvania 17042Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 270-7500
- Holy Spirit HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.41 miles away503 North 21st Street Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Voluntary non-profit - Private(717) 763-2100
- Pennsylvania Psychiatric InstitutePsychiatric 17.38 miles away2501 North Third Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Proprietary(717) 782-4742
- Pinnacle Health HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 17.95 miles away409 South Second Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17105Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 782-5181
- u.s. Renal Care - Carlisle0.98 miles away101 Noble Boulevard, Suite 103 Carlisle Pennsylvania 17013Dialysis Stations: 14 (717) 258-3099
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cumberland1.36 miles away254 East High Street Carlisle Pennsylvania 17013Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 240-2944
- Wooten Dialysis, LLC1.74 miles away419 Village Dr., Suite 10 Carlisle Pennsylvania 17015Dialysis Stations: 12 (717) 218-5104
- Dialysis Care Center - Mechanicsburg LLC9.96 miles away4 Flowers Drive, Suite 1 Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania 17050Dialysis Stations: 11 (717) 795-4665
- u.s. Renal Care Mechanicsburg11.02 miles away120 South Filbert Street Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania 17055Dialysis Stations: 15 (717) 790-6080
- u.s. Renal Care - Camp Hill14.65 miles away158 South 32nd Street, Suite 19 Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 731-0506
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.15.17 miles away390 E. Penn Drive Enola Pennsylvania 17025Dialysis Stations: 2 (717) 732-3274
- Fresenius Kidney Care - New Bloomfield15.37 miles away218 S. Carlisle Street New Bloomfield Pennsylvania 17068Dialysis Stations: 12 (717) 582-0165