Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens is on a list of 11 options in Flushing, New York. Sporting an overall grade of B, this appears to be a fine option. This turned out to be one of the five best facilities in the city. The best part of this facility's strong report card was its inspection grade. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility fared even better in the area of inspections which is associated with the nursing home's recent inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A+ for that category, which is one of our best grades. Our inspection ratings are based on many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor dings are not something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given an impressive long-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are kept in good health. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 77.068214 percent of its residents. This is a few points less than we anticipated but still a respectable percentage. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. This wasn't quite on par with some of its other category grades mentioned above. The nursing grade includes a handful of factors, most of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures. Although this place got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of these quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed well in this area. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving a resident even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
Our next category is short-term care, where we awarded this nursing home a C in this area. In crafting our short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to create a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this category is the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are often caused by poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for treating a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens, 13.2% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens, 91.26% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sapphire Center For Rehabilitation & Nursing of Central Queens, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Flushing, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Flushing, New York has 10 other nursing homes
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.69 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.58 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.33 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.45 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 6.02 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Crd Associates LLC Cliffside Nursing Home1.78 miles away119-19 Graham Court Att: Dialysis Center Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 6 (718) 886-0700
- Queens Dialysis at the Pavilion, LLC2.04 miles away36-17 Parsons Blvd Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 888-5200
- The Rogosin Institute Auburndale Dialysis2.78 miles away39-20 Utopia Parkway Flushing New York 11358CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (347) 783-7700
- Bronx Center for Renal Dialysis2.92 miles away1010 Underhill Avenue Bronx New York 10472CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 863-8300
- Davita Soundview Dialysis Center3.23 miles away1622-24 Bruckner Blvd Bronx New York 10473CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 861-2334
- The Ny Hosp Med Ctr of Queens3.26 miles away56-45 Main Street 8th Floor Hemodialysis Unit Flushing New York 11355Dialysis Stations: 4 (718) 670-1258
- Fms-Bayside Dialysis Center3.35 miles away201-10 Northern Boulevard Bayside New York 11361CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 423-6638
- Davita Clearview Dialysis3.53 miles away4560 Francis Lewis Blvd Bayside New York 11361Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 224-2398