Santa Monica Health Care Center is a small nursing home located in Santa Monica, California. Sporting an overall rating of B+, we graded this facility as the highest rated nursing home in Santa Monica. Overall grades in this range are a great indication of a quality facility. Even in a city with 12 nursing homes, this nursing home stood out as a quality choice. Keep reading to see this facility's category grades, which are also quite good. It would be hard to find any major flaws in this facility's profile.
Santa Monica Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a strong overall rating, this nursing home performed even better in the area of inspections which is based on the facility's recent government inspection reports. We gave it an A- for this area, which is one of our best grades. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be quite insignificant. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was awarded a strong short-term care grade as well. We gave it one of our higher scores in that area with a grade of B+. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a vast scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. We weren't able to locate information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return home from this facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Santa Monica Health Care Center?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. We scrutinized the levels of nurses at the facility, in addition to the number of hours the nurses worked with patients, in determining our score in this area. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth category, this nursing home was awarded an extremely favorable long-term care score. This nursing home did not prove to have any noticeable weaknesses. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is far higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Santa Monica Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care residents who suffered from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients who have sustained falls which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who are administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are generally used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Santa Monica, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Santa Monica, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Providence Saint John's Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.16 miles away2121 Santa Monica Blvd Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 829-5511
- Santa Monica - Ucla Med Ctr & Orthopaedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.33 miles away1250 16th Street Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 319-4000
- Ronald Reagan U C L a Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.09 miles away757 Westwood Plaza Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6301
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 3.15 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.16 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.2 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Davita-Santa Monica Dialysis0.41 miles away1260 15th Street, Suite 102 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 393-4744
- Davita-Mar Vista0.97 miles away2020 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 100 & 120 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (310) 453-4900
- Davita-Century City Dialysis Center3.12 miles away10630 Santa Monica Blvd. Los Angeles California 90025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (310) 954-2700
- Fmc-Culver City Dialysis3.8 miles away9432 Venice Blvd. Culver City California 90230CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (310) 836-2237
- Davita-Beverlywood Dialysis4.45 miles away2080 Century Park East, Suite 210 Los Angeles California 90067Dialysis Stations: 13 (310) 772-0224
- u.s. Renal Care Culver City4.84 miles away9808 Venice Blvd., Suite 200 Culver City California 90232Dialysis Stations: 18 (310) 841-0500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- West Los Angeles4.87 miles awayDialysis Unit 6041 Cadillac Avenue, Suite 442 Los Angeles California 90034Dialysis Stations: 4 (323) 857-3245
- u.s. Renal Care West Los Angeles Dialysis6.02 miles away1801 S. La Cienega Blvd. Los Angeles California 90035CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 840-5688