Santa Monica Health Care Center is a small nursing home located in Santa Monica, California. Sporting an overall rating of B+, it is the highest graded facility in the city. Even in a city offering 11 nursing homes, this facility stood out as a first-rate selection. Scroll down to find this nursing home's category grades, which are also impressive. It is hard to find any major flaws in this facility's profile.
Santa Monica Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1320 20th Street,
Santa Monica CA 90404
84.23% estimated occupancy 1
Best Nursing Home in Santa Monica, California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Santa Monica, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we gave this nursing home an A- for our short-term care grade. In our short-term care rating, we strive to create a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at the facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. It does not look like this facility provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of residents that returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
This facility really excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Nursing grades are largely tied to a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving a patient more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Santa Monica Health Care Center?
Turning to another of this nursing home's strengths, it also earned a very impressive inspection score. In that category, we gave this nursing home an impressive grade of B+. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This nursing home was hit with 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies to create an immediate risk to patient health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we scored was long-term care. We awarded this nursing home one of our higher grades in this area, with a B. This nursing home ended up being strong in all areas we analyzed. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. After assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Santa Monica Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who suffer from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term stay residents which suffered a fall leading to major injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. High levels of depression may indicate a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Santa Monica Health Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Santa Monica, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Santa Monica, California has 10 other nursing homes
- Providence Saint John's Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.16 miles away2121 Santa Monica Blvd Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 829-5511
- Santa Monica - Ucla Med Ctr & Orthopaedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.33 miles away1250 16th Street Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 319-4000
- Ronald Reagan U C L a Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.09 miles away757 Westwood Plaza Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6301
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 3.15 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.16 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.2 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Davita-Santa Monica Dialysis0.41 miles away1260 15th Street, Suite 102 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 393-4744
- Davita-Mar Vista0.97 miles away2020 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 100 & 120 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (310) 453-4900
- Davita-Century City Dialysis Center3.12 miles away10630 Santa Monica Blvd. Los Angeles California 90025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (310) 954-2700
- Fmc-Culver City Dialysis3.8 miles away9432 Venice Blvd. Culver City California 90230CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (310) 836-2237
- Davita-Beverlywood Dialysis4.45 miles away2080 Century Park East, Suite 210 Los Angeles California 90067Dialysis Stations: 13 (310) 772-0224
- u.s. Renal Care Culver City4.84 miles away9808 Venice Blvd., Suite 200 Culver City California 90232Dialysis Stations: 18 (310) 841-0500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- West Los Angeles4.87 miles awayDialysis Unit 6041 Cadillac Avenue, Suite 442 Los Angeles California 90034Dialysis Stations: 4 (323) 857-3245
- u.s. Renal Care West Los Angeles Dialysis6.02 miles away1801 S. La Cienega Blvd. Los Angeles California 90035CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 840-5688