Sandy Health and Rehab is a senior living facility in Sandy, Utah. This city has a population of 105,585 people. Sporting an overall rating of C, this looks like a middle of the road nursing home. You could definitely do worse than this place. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong short-term care score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Sandy Health and Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
50 East 9000 South,
Sandy UT 84070
78.79% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Utah Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Sandy, Utah Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received an elite short-term care grade. In fact, we gave this nursing home an A- in this area, which really helped out its overall score. Our short-term care ratings are presumably most critical for residents needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. This includes not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility an B. When calculating a facility's nursing rating, we look at the amount of time nurses are with patients and the level of skill of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Sandy Health and Rehab?
This nursing home earned its third best category score in the area of inspections. Inspection grades are based on a facility's recent inspection reports. We awarded this nursing home a C in this area. We would argue that one of the most critical factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially focus on the severity of those deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were category G through L deficiencies. This tells you this facility dodged the more serious categories of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed was long-term care, which was this nursing home's least impressive area. We gave it an abysmal F for this category, which is certainly very disappointing. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 97.351 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sandy Health and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sandy Health and Rehab, 6.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sandy Health and Rehab, 3.44% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sandy Health and Rehab, 2.54% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sandy Health and Rehab, 15.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used to treat several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sandy Health and Rehab, 21.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sandy Health and Rehab, 11.45% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sandy Health and Rehab, 80.77% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sandy Health and Rehab, 13.95% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sandy Health and Rehab, 14.91% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Sandy Health and Rehab, 0.93 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sandy Health and Rehab, 14.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sandy Health and Rehab, 13.64 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sandy Health and Rehab, 71.49% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Alta View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.99 miles away9660 South 1300 East Sandy Utah 84094Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 501-2600
- Lone Peak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.66 miles away11925 South State Street Draper Utah 84020Proprietary(801) 545-8000
- Jordan Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.55 miles away3580 West 9000 South West Jordan Utah 84088Voluntary non-profit - Other(801) 561-8888
- Intermountain Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.91 miles away5121 South Cottonwood Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 507-7000
- Riverton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.59 miles away3741 West 12600 South Riverton Utah 84065Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 285-4000
- St Mark's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away1200 East 3900 South Salt Lake City Utah 84124Proprietary(801) 268-7700
- Salt Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.62 miles away1050 East South Temple Salt Lake City Utah 84102Proprietary(801) 350-4111
- Primary Childrens HospitalChildrens 12.92 miles away100 North Mario Capecchi Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84113Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 662-6212
- South Valley Dialysis Center1.24 miles away8750 S Sandy Pkwy Sandy Utah 84070Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 233-8745
- South Mountain Dialysis2.84 miles away10969 S Riverfront Pkwy Ste 100 South Jordan Utah 84095Dialysis Stations: 16 (801) 253-9696
- Liberty Dialysis West Jordan (Fmc)4.91 miles away3823 W 9000 S Ste D West Jordan Utah 84088Dialysis Stations: 13 (801) 280-4600
- Intermountain Medical Center Dialysis Services5.2 miles away74 West Vine Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (801) 507-9000
- Fmc-Riverton LLC5.28 miles away12523 South Creek Meadow Road Suite 107 Riverton Utah 84065Dialysis Stations: 13 (801) 254-6990
- West Valley Dialysis Clinic5.32 miles away3854 W 5400 S Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (801) 969-6801
- Oquirrh Artificial Kidney Center5.9 miles away5320 South 2700 West Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 417-9900
- Fresenius Kidney Care Wasatch7.1 miles away3702 South State Street, Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 904-4407