With an address in Port Washington, New York, Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation is one of only two nursing homes in the city. Sporting an overall grade of B+, this facility should work for most prospective residents. Based on the data we reviewed, you could do much worse than this facility. This facility's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this place turned out to be a great nursing home is it received an A+ in our inspections category. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection scores are tied to datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was given an impressive short-term care grade as well. We gave it one of our better scores in that category with a score of B+. Short-term care ratings are based on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a broad spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a favorable long-term care score. Indeed, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. For residents seeking a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 79.45737 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is slightly less than we expected but still a reasonably acceptable figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, at least this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Moving on to our final area, this nursing home was awarded a decent nursing grade. While this was not as impressive as some of its other grades, this is really not a bad grade. When calculating a nursing home's nursing rating, we weigh the amount of time nurses commit to patients as well as the levels of training of those nurses. This place averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day, which is not an impressive total. Finally, while this nursing home got docked a bit for its nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of our quality metrics. With less than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this area.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percentage of long-term patients who have experienced a fall which caused serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients who have sustained a UTI. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating several medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation, 13.2% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation, 91.26% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility. Some argue that mobility is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sands Point Center for Health and Rehabilitation, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- St Francis Hospital, RoslynAcute Care Hospitals 2.88 miles away100 Port Washington Boulevard Roslyn New York 11576Voluntary non-profit - Church(516) 562-6000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.57 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.89 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.49 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.68 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.16 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.04 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.04 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Davita Port Washington Dialysis Center2.54 miles away50 Seaview Blvd Port Washington New York 11050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 484-3460
- Glengariff Dialysis Center, LLC3.92 miles away141 Dosoris Lane Glen Cove New York 11542Dialysis Stations: 6 (516) 676-1100
- Nyu Langone Hospitals4.26 miles away255 Warner Avenue Roslyn Heights New York 11577Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 626-8355
- Davita Julia and Israel Waldbaum Dialysis4.46 miles away100 Community Drive Waldbaum Dialysis Center Great Neck New York 11021CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (516) 465-8250
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.6.9 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 235-6878
- Kings Harbor Health Services LLC7.3 miles away2020 East Gun Hill Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 9 (718) 320-1335
- Davita Bronx Dialysis Center7.54 miles awayKnickerbocker Dialysis, Inc 1615 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 892-7700
- Davita Eastchester Road Dialysis Center7.54 miles awayLiberty r.c. Inc. 1515 Jarrett Place Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 822-4940