Sandia Ridge Center turns out to be one of a multitude of available nursing homes you can choose from in Albuquerque, New Mexico. This nursing home was given a rock bottom overall grade based on the data we assessed. Albuquerque received a city grade of B-, so there are other options in the city worth considering. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was nursing, which is discussed in the next section.
Sandia Ridge Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Sandia Ridge Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall score was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform as badly in the area of nursing. We gave it a B- for that area. Our nursing score is primarily tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It scored well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also didn't rate terribly in the category of short-term care. Indeed, we gave it a B- for that category, which turned out to be another one of its higher scores. In forming our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our purpose is to formulate a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Sandia Ridge Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second worse category is long-term care, where it earned a grade of just D in that category. This is a relatively poor score. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means the nursing home didn't perform well in our measures relating to patient care. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 92.15686 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is slightly less than we were hoping for but still a reasonably acceptable figure. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
The final category we looked at is inspections. This facility did not receive positive inspection reports in recent years. In fact, we had to give it an F in this category. You should pay close attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection grade. We suggest you scrutinize the severity of those deficiencies. This facility was assessed one category J through K deficiency, which rank among the worst deficiencies. We are also concerned by the fact that this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sandia Ridge Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sandia Ridge Center, 8.5% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sandia Ridge Center, 3.08% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sandia Ridge Center, 1.47% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care patients who suffered from a UTI. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sandia Ridge Center, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sandia Ridge Center, 13.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sandia Ridge Center, 3.19% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sandia Ridge Center, 88.36% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sandia Ridge Center, 16.72% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sandia Ridge Center, 18.98% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that maintained mobility.
In Sandia Ridge Center, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sandia Ridge Center, 18.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sandia Ridge Center, 15.18 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sandia Ridge Center, 65.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Albuquerque, NM
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Albuquerque, New Mexico has 17 other nursing homes
- Lovelace Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.97 miles away4701 Montgomery Boulevard Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109Government - State(505) 727-7805
- Unm HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.28 miles away2211 Lomas Boulevard Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87106Voluntary non-profit - Other(505) 272-2111
- Presbyterian HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.27 miles away1100 Central Avenue Se Albuquerque New Mexico 87106Voluntary non-profit - Private(505) 724-8386
- Lovelace Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.48 miles away601 Dr Martin Luther King Jr Ave Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87102Voluntary non-profit - Private(505) 727-8000
- Lovelace Westside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away10501 Golf Course Road Nw Albuquerque New Mexico 87114Proprietary(505) 727-2001
- Unm Sandoval Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.63 miles away3001 Broadmoor Blvd Ne Rio Rancho New Mexico 87144Voluntary non-profit - Private(505) 994-7402
- Albuquerque East (Dci)1.84 miles away905 Louisiana Blvd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87110CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (505) 254-1800
- Albuquerque Kidney Center (Fmc)1.94 miles away11296 Lomas Blvd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87112CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (505) 298-5557
- Sandia Peak Dialysis2.35 miles away10410 Copper Pointe Way Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87123Dialysis Stations: 12 (505) 299-0657
- North Albuquerque Dialysis Center (Fmc)3.09 miles away5200 San Mateo Blvd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (505) 883-7599
- Del Norte Dialysis3.19 miles away5201 San Mateo Blvd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109Dialysis Stations: 17 (505) 884-4820
- Gibson Dialysis Center (Fmc)4.02 miles away5400 Gibson Blvd Se Ssuite 100 Albuquerque New Mexico 87108Dialysis Stations: 25 (505) 255-0111
- Unm Pediatric Dialysis4.66 miles away2211 Lomas Blvd Ne Box 256 Albuquerque New Mexico 87106Dialysis Stations: 4 (505) 925-4387
- Albuquerque Dialysis (Dci)4.69 miles away1500 Indian School Rd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87102CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (505) 724-1500