San Tomas Convalescent Hospital is a facility located in San Jose, California which has a population of 973,849 people. This is a fine facility. We awarded this it an overall grade of B+, which is a well above average rating. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top third of all nursing homes in the country. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its short-term care rating, which you can find in the next section.
San Tomas Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this nursing home also received an elite short-term care grade. We awarded them one of our better grades in that area, with a grade of A. In determining these short-term care grades, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to devise a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we considered in this category is the number of patients who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
In addition, this nursing home also excelled in inspections, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Inspection ratings are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's inspections. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Does this page answer your questions about San Tomas Convalescent Hospital?
This facility really excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. The nursing grade weighs a number of subcategories. The most heavily weighted variable is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a system of moving patients more often.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is long-term care. We gave this facility a solid grade in this area, with a B-. While this wasn't as favorable as a few of this nursing home's other scores, it is nevertheless a middle of the pack score. Long-term care grades assess a facility's assistance with daily living instead of the skilled nursing or medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 99.3266 percent of its residents. This nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
San Tomas Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In San Tomas Convalescent Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In San Tomas Convalescent Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In San Tomas Convalescent Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care patients who have experienced a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric may be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In San Tomas Convalescent Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In San Tomas Convalescent Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In San Tomas Convalescent Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In San Tomas Convalescent Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In San Tomas Convalescent Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In San Tomas Convalescent Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In San Tomas Convalescent Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In San Tomas Convalescent Hospital, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 18 other nursing homes
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.87 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.24 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 3.02 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 3.31 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 7.5 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.97 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 9.86 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- Satellite Dialysis Stevens Creek1.74 miles away4360-a Stevens Creek Blvd San Jose California 95129CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (408) 517-5777
- Stevens Creek Dialysis Center1.79 miles away275 Di Salvo Ave San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 297-0103
- Satellite Healthcare San Jose1.82 miles away888 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 855-6900
- San Jose at Home1.84 miles away4400 Stevens Creek Blvd. Suite 50 San Jose California 95129Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 985-2011
- Santa Clara Valley Renal Care Center1.92 miles away2220 Moorpark Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 885-5730
- Cornerhouse Dialysis Center2.45 miles away2005 Naglee Avenue San Jose California 95128Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 998-0183
- Wellbound of San Jose LLC2.67 miles away1525 Meridian Avenue Suite 101 San Jose California 95125Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 269-3600
- Los Gatos Dialysis Center2.95 miles away14251 Winchester Blvd Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 370-6756