San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf is one of a mere two facilities in San Mateo, California. This facility was awarded an overall grade of B, which is favorable rating. Based on our analysis, you could do much worse than this facility. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home did not have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a great overall grade, this facility also received an elite nursing score. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with an A. Our nursing grade assesses several datapoints, but the primary one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Turning to another one of this nursing home's strengths, it also earned a very impressive inspection grade. In fact, inspections turned out to be one of its best category grades. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being relatively insignificant. This nursing home was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This tells you that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to resident health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our third area, this nursing home also earned a score of B for its long-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this area. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 98.647125 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we rated is short-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of C. Our short-term care ratings are important for people looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes more skilled nursing services. This includes a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 3 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that have sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications are used to treat several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf, 4.33% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who are showing depressive symptoms. Many would argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf, 95.72% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In San Mateo Medical Center D/P Snf, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- San Mateo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away222 W 39th Ave San Mateo California 94403Government - Local(650) 573-2222
- Sequoia HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.29 miles away170 Alameda De Las Pulgas Redwood City California 94062Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 367-5551
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Redwood CityAcute Care Hospitals 5 miles away1100 Veterans Boulevard Redwood City California 94063Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 299-2000
- Mills-Peninsula Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away1501 Trousdale Drive Burlingame California 94010Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 696-5270
- Stanford Health CareAcute Care Hospitals 9.6 miles away300 Pasteur Drive Stanford California 94305Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 723-5708
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - South San FranciscoAcute Care Hospitals 11.85 miles away1200 El Camino Real South San Francisco California 94080Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 742-3200
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.33 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 14.02 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Satellite Dialysis San Mateo1.38 miles away2000 South El Camino Real San Mateo California 94403CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 377-0888
- Wellbound of San Mateo1.38 miles away2000 South El Camino Real 2nd Floor San Mateo California 94403Dialysis Stations: 4 (650) 377-0882
- Foster City Dialysis Center3.16 miles away1261 East Hillsdale Blvd #2 San Mateo California 94404Dialysis Stations: 16 (650) 638-9301
- Satellite Dialysis Redwood City3.5 miles away1125 Industrial Rd Suite G San Carlos California 94070CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 366-0789
- Redwood City Dialysis Center4.95 miles away1000 Marshall Street Redwood City California 94063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 365-0129
- Davita Burlingame6.33 miles away1720 El Camino Real Burlingame California 94010CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (650) 697-7601
- Davita Mills Dialysis6.45 miles away100 South San Mateo Drive San Mateo California 94401Dialysis Stations: 19 (650) 548-4985
- Satellite Dialysis Menlo Park9.06 miles away1040 Hamilton Court Menlo Park California 94025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 384-4800