San Juan Nursing Home is a facility located in San Juan, Texas, a city with a total of 38,004 people. With an overall score of C, this is likely a solid nursing home. Based on our assessment, there are certainly much worse facilities out there. This place is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
San Juan Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Colostomy Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable facility overall, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we had positive view of this nursing home's recent inspections.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a positive long-term care score. Indeed, we awarded it a B in this area, which is one of our better. Facilities that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. Once we finished looking at the volume of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 99.609375 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly is often a dangerous illness for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about San Juan Nursing Home?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of C, which is a decent grade. Our nursing rating features several subcategories. The most heavily weighted factor is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. This facility provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually a good indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we scored is short-term care. In this category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. In the area of short-term care, we strive to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. In this place's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
San Juan Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In San Juan Nursing Home, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In San Juan Nursing Home, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In San Juan Nursing Home, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In San Juan Nursing Home, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used to treat several medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In San Juan Nursing Home, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In San Juan Nursing Home, 4.81% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In San Juan Nursing Home, 94.64% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In San Juan Nursing Home, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Many in the industry argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In San Juan Nursing Home, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is vital to patients well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In San Juan Nursing Home, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In San Juan Nursing Home, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
- Rio Grande Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.36 miles away101 E Ridge Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Proprietary(956) 632-6000
- Doctors Hospital at RenaissanceAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away5501 South Mccoll Edinburg Texas 78539Physician(956) 362-8677
- South Texas Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.16 miles away1102 W Trenton Road Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 632-4484
- Cornerstone Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.57 miles away2302 Cornerstone Boulevard Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 618-4444
- Mission Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.91 miles away900 South Bryan Road Mission Texas 78572Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 323-9000
- Knapp Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.47 miles away1401 East Eight Street Weslaco Texas 78596Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 968-8567
- Fresenius Medical Care Tri-City2.1 miles away734 North Alamo Road Alamo Texas 78516CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (956) 783-5628
- Fresenius Medical Care River Valley Clinic2.23 miles away433 W Sam Houston Blvd Pharr Texas 78577Dialysis Stations: 16 (956) 283-0646
- Egonsa Dialysis, LLC3.21 miles away2500 South Jackson Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 664-8251
- Driscoll Children's Valley Dialysis Center3.62 miles away1120 East Ridge Road Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 4 (956) 688-1220
- Valley Dialysis of Mcallen4.18 miles away2000 S. Cynthia Street Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 994-3374
- Usrc Mcallen Dialysis4.29 miles away1301 East Ridge Road Suite C Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 28 (956) 668-8484
- Dialysis Care of Mcallen4.47 miles away411 Lindberg Avenue Mcallen Texas 78501CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 687-6701
- Usrc Edinburg4.54 miles away206 Conquest Blvd Edinburg Texas 78539CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (956) 383-8488