San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center is a small facility in San Jose, California. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is one of our higher ratings. We simply can not say enough good things about this place. Keep reading to see this facility's category ratings, which are also strong. It would be hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on San Jose senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a first rate nursing home overall, this place also excelled in inspections, where it received a grade of A. Not many nursing homes performed better in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively insignificant. This place was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies an immediate risk to patient health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Among its many high-end scores, this nursing home was given a top-shelf short-term care grade. In fact, it received a score of A- in this category. Our short-term care scores are crucial for individuals looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a vast scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing score focuses on the facility's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning a resident even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we rated was long-term care. We awarded this nursing home one of our higher grades in this area, with a B. While this isn't on par with many of this nursing home's other scores, it is nevertheless a positive score. When facilities receive this type of grade in long-term care it is usually a good sign for patient care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. This is a reliable method to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the senior population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients that have suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents which are given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center, 5.83% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center, 95.65% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Some experts argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In San Jose Healthcare & Wellness Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some believe that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 2.16 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.35 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.51 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 6.4 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 6.65 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.31 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 8.42 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.07 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Satellite Dialysis San Jose2.05 miles away2121 Alexian Drive San Jose California 95116CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 56 (408) 258-8720
- Davita Silicon Valley Dialysis2.79 miles away725 Ridder Park., Ste 10 San Jose California 95131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (408) 392-0390
- Davita Silicon Valley Home Training2.79 miles away725 Ridder Park Dr., Ste 50 San Jose California 95131Dialysis Stations: 8 (408) 392-0239
- Kaiser Permanente - Skyport2.81 miles away1721 Technology Drive Dept #245 San Jose California 95110Dialysis Stations: 1 (408) 436-4300
- Davita Eastridge Dialysis2.88 miles away3501 E Capitol Expressway San Jose California 95122Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 239-0466
- Cornerhouse Dialysis Center3.09 miles away2005 Naglee Avenue San Jose California 95128Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 998-0183
- Tully Dialysis Center3.1 miles away1290 Tully Rd Suite 80 San Jose California 95122CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (408) 993-8959
- Satellite Dialysis White Road3.16 miles away1450 S White Road #30 San Jose California 95127CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 272-9810