San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center is located in San Antonio, Texas. This city is among the largest cities in the country with has 1,585,405 people. We gave this nursing home an extremely poor overall grade based on the data we looked at. If you aren't happy with this nursing home, you should be able to find another option in San Antonio, as the city has more than 25 nursing homes. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
San Antonio TX 78230
68.11% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of C. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being relatively insignificant. This nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were in categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient health or safety. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Long-term Care Quality
We were also pleasantly surprised to discover that this facility received a solid long-term care rating in our assessment. We gave it a C in that area. In determining these long-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's personal care services. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 97.72727 percent of its residents, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. This place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed is short-term care. This nursing home's received an abysmal short-term care score where it received an F. Our short-term care grade is generally used to gauge a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to offer good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer better levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. With a grade in this range for this area, we weren't surprised to find that this facility was well below average in several staffing figures we looked at. The facility offered far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most facilities. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely wasn't a strength for this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
The last category we looked at is nursing. This nursing home received a poor grade of F in that area. Our nursing rating is largely associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. This place offered only 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is not a very impressive figure. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these metrics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percentage of long-term residents which have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that have suffered falls leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients which had urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for treating several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center, 4.81% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center, 94.64% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels.
In San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In San Antonio Residence and Rehabilitation Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's typically correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 61 other nursing homes
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.38 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.52 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of San AntonioAcute Care Hospitals 2.98 miles away9522 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 478-5400
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Hospital NwAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away9150 Huebner Rd Suite 100 San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 575-5000
- Legent Orthopedic + SpineAcute Care Hospitals 6.17 miles away5330 North Loop 1604 West San Antonio Texas 78249Proprietary(717) 620-2424
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 6.37 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Kidney Treatment Center Northwest Pa1.02 miles away3939 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 692-3075
- University Health System Children's Kidney Center1.71 miles away4502 Medical Drive Ms 111-1 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 8 (210) 358-8309
- Usrc Medical Center, LLC1.82 miles away4511 Nw Loop 410 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (210) 541-0273
- Northwest Medical Center Dialysis2.31 miles away5284 Medical Drive Suite 135 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 616-9699
- Bma Northwest Bexar County2.34 miles away5131 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (210) 338-7742
- Floyd Curl Dialysis2.92 miles away9238 Floyd Curl Drive, Suite 102 San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 561-4373
- Lockehill Kidney Disease Clinic2.93 miles away10134 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 641-6000
- San Antonio West Dialysis4.03 miles away4530 Callaghan Road San Antonio Texas 78228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 431-9048