Saint John Xxiii Home is an average-sized non-profit nursing home in Hermitage, Pennsylvania. This turns out to be an A rated facility. It received one of the highest ratings that we offer. A score in this range requires first-rate marks across the board. Indeed, we were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it as the top facility in Hermitage. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's exemplary profile is its inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Saint John Xxiii Home
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Colostomy Care
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is it received an A+ inspection grade. This is as good as it gets in this area. Our inspection ratings are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this area have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also excelled in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a score of A-. Not many nursing homes received a better grade in this area. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 94.300514 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia can be a deadly health condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a facility doesn't take any chances. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Saint John Xxiii Home?
Short-term Care Quality
Compounding its fine assessment, this nursing home also was awarded a superb short-term care score, with a grade of A-. In forming our short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to create a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
In our final area, we awarded this facility a A+ for its nursing score. This finished off a very favorable report card. Our nursing rating is largely associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a system of turning residents more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Saint John Xxiii Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Saint John Xxiii Home, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Saint John Xxiii Home, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Saint John Xxiii Home, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Saint John Xxiii Home, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used for several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Saint John Xxiii Home, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Saint John Xxiii Home, 3.12% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Saint John Xxiii Home, 88.22% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Saint John Xxiii Home, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Saint John Xxiii Home, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Saint John Xxiii Home, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Saint John Xxiii Home, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Saint John Xxiii Home, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Saint John Xxiii Home, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Sharon Regional Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 1.56 miles away740 East State Street Sharon Pennsylvania 16146Proprietary(724) 983-3800
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.55 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Upmc HorizonAcute Care Hospitals 13.81 miles away110 North Main Street Greenville Pennsylvania 16125Voluntary non-profit - Private(724) 588-2100
- Upmc JamesonAcute Care Hospitals 15.88 miles away1211 Wilmington Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16105Voluntary non-profit - Other(724) 656-4100
- Mh St Joseph Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.1 miles away667 Eastland Ave Se Warren Ohio 44481Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 841-4016
- Trumbull Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.16 miles away1350 East Market Street Warren Ohio 44482Proprietary(330) 841-9820
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.1 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Hermitage0.98 miles away3036 Innovation Way Hermitage Pennsylvania 16148CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (724) 981-1328
- Dci of Shenango Valley1.41 miles away737 Brookshire Drive Hermitage Pennsylvania 16148Dialysis Stations: 19 (724) 342-3040
- Youngstown - Warren Home Dialysis11.41 miles away4531 Belmont Ave. Youngstown Ohio 44505Dialysis Stations: 3 (330) 759-3807
- Fmc - Youngstown12.49 miles away1340 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44504CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 746-2860
- Warren Dialysis Center13.82 miles away8720 East Market Street, Ste 1a Warren Ohio 44484CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (330) 609-5502
- Fmc - Warren15.13 miles away2100 Millenium Blvd Cortland Ohio 44410CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (330) 372-4030
- Fresenius Kidney Care - New Castle16.2 miles away207 West Laurel Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16101CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 658-1216
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC16.35 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355