Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Tucson, Arizona. This facility received a strong grade of B+ overall. We found this nursing home to be better than most of the facilities in Tucson, which has a city grade of B. In our view, this nursing home is a solid choice for quite a few people. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive report card was its inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
5830 East Pima Street,
Tucson AZ 85712
77.76% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out the fact that this nursing home earned near flawless inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this area. Inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category typically have few severe deficiencies. We were not able to locate deficiency data for this nursing home. We wish we had more information about this facility. Without having all of the information regarding deficiencies, it was difficult to assess this facility in terms of this category.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given high grades in the area of short-term care as well. Indeed, we gave it one of our most elite scores in that area with a area of A-. In determining these short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The goal is to formulate a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The last item we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we looked at is long-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a grade of B- in this area. Our long-term care grade is used to score a facility's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Thankfully, this nursing home gave the vaccine to 96.27329 percent of its residents, which is a very solid total. This nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The last area we graded is nursing, where this facility was awarded a grade of B-. This proved to be this facility's worst category. This is still not the end of the world. Nursing scores are tied to nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 8.99% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 1.4% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 11.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 17.9% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 3.74% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 74.57% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 12.93% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 15.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term residents who remained mobile levels. Some experts argue that the ability to move around is important for patients physical and mental health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 15.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 11.86 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Tucson, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Tucson, Arizona has 15 other nursing homes
- Tucson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.87 miles away5301 East Grant Road Tucson Arizona 85712Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 327-5461
- Palo Verde Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 0.96 miles away2695 North Craycroft Road Tucson Arizona 85712Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 322-2888
- St Joseph's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.35 miles away350 North Wilmot Road Tucson Arizona 85711Voluntary non-profit - Other(520) 873-3000
- Banner - University Medical Center Tucson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.46 miles away1625 North Campbell Avenue Tucson Arizona 85724Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 874-4189
- Banner-University Medical Center South CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.78 miles away2800 East Ajo Way Tucson Arizona 85713Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 874-2000
- St. Mary's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away1601 West St Mary's Road Tucson Arizona 85745Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 872-3000
- Sonora Behavioral Health HospitalPsychiatric 9.69 miles away6050 North Corona Road Tucson Arizona 85704Proprietary(520) 469-8700
- Northwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.01 miles away6200 North La Cholla Boulevard Tucson Arizona 85741Proprietary(520) 469-8100
- East Tucson (Fmc)1.02 miles away5555 E 5th St #155 Tucson Arizona 85711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (520) 790-0461
- Swan Dialysis1.51 miles away1635 N Swan Road Tucson Arizona 85712Dialysis Stations: 12 (520) 327-1125
- Tucson East Dialysis (Dva)1.83 miles away6420 E Broadway Blvd Ste c300 Tucson Arizona 85710CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (520) 790-2775
- Tucson Central Dialysis (Dva)3.61 miles away2901 E Grant Rd Tucson Arizona 85716CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (520) 325-3408
- Banner University Medical Center Pediatric Outpatient Dialysis Unit4.54 miles awayPO Box 245148 Tucson Arizona 85724Dialysis Stations: 4 (520) 694-7176
- Desert Dialysis Center (Dci)4.72 miles away2022 E Prince Rd Tucson Arizona 85719Dialysis Stations: 19 (520) 327-0007
- Tucson West Dialysis Center (Fmc)6.24 miles away100 W Grant Rd Tucson Arizona 85705CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (520) 624-0266
- South Tucson Dialysis (Fmc)6.89 miles away2802 South 6th Ave Tucson Arizona 85713Dialysis Stations: 24 (520) 792-2999