Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Tucson, Arizona. We gave this facility an overall score of A-, which is a phenomenal grade. Indeed, it is ranked among the top ten facilities in the city. We simply can't say enough great things about this facility. As you can see below, this place also performed just fine in our category scores. It is hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Inspection ratings are based on many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Unfortunately, we were not able to track down deficiency counts for this nursing home. We would like to have more information about this nursing home. Without having deficiency related data, it is challenging to really evaluate this nursing home in terms of this category.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its top-shelf resume, this nursing home also excelled in our short-term care area. In fact, we awarded it a score of A- for the area. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we size up the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This category is generally a meaningful measure of a facility's rehabilitation. We weren't able to find information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.7 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to another strength for this nursing home, we gave them one of our more positive grades in our long-term care category as well, with a grade of B+. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is much higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The last area we scored was nursing, in which this nursing home was awarded a grade of B. This actually ended up being this nursing home's weakest area. A facility could be doing a lot worse when it's weakest score still outperforms most nursing homes. In computing a nursing home's nursing rating, we look at the number of hours nurses are with residents as well as the skill levels of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term residents which developed pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 2.25% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term residents which have had falls resulting in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 1.58% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of poor nursing care. More frequent bathing can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 11.13% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used to treat several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 16.92% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 2.87% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 81.19% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 12.86% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and eating. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 23.01% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that remained mobile levels. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' physical and mental well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 23.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 10.95 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center, 73.63% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Tucson, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Tucson, Arizona has 20 other nursing homes
- Tucson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.87 miles away5301 East Grant Road Tucson Arizona 85712Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 327-5461
- Palo Verde Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 0.96 miles away2695 North Craycroft Road Tucson Arizona 85712Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 322-2888
- St Joseph's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.35 miles away350 North Wilmot Road Tucson Arizona 85711Voluntary non-profit - Other(520) 873-3000
- Banner - University Medical Center Tucson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.46 miles away1625 North Campbell Avenue Tucson Arizona 85724Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 874-4189
- Banner-University Medical Center South CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.78 miles away2800 East Ajo Way Tucson Arizona 85713Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 874-2000
- St. Mary's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away1601 West St Mary's Road Tucson Arizona 85745Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 872-3000
- Sonora Behavioral Health HospitalPsychiatric 9.69 miles away6050 North Corona Road Tucson Arizona 85704Proprietary(520) 469-8700
- Northwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.01 miles away6200 North La Cholla Boulevard Tucson Arizona 85741Proprietary(520) 469-8100
- East Tucson (Fmc)1.02 miles away5555 E 5th St #155 Tucson Arizona 85711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (520) 790-0461
- Swan Dialysis1.51 miles away1635 N Swan Road Tucson Arizona 85712Dialysis Stations: 12 (520) 327-1125
- Tucson East Dialysis (Dva)1.83 miles away6420 E Broadway Blvd Ste c300 Tucson Arizona 85710CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (520) 790-2775
- Tucson Central Dialysis (Dva)3.61 miles away2901 E Grant Rd Tucson Arizona 85716CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (520) 325-3408
- Banner University Medical Center Pediatric Outpatient Dialysis Unit4.54 miles awayPO Box 245148 Tucson Arizona 85724Dialysis Stations: 4 (520) 694-7176
- Desert Dialysis Center (Dci)4.72 miles away2022 E Prince Rd Tucson Arizona 85719Dialysis Stations: 19 (520) 327-0007
- Tucson West Dialysis Center (Fmc)6.24 miles away100 W Grant Rd Tucson Arizona 85705CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (520) 624-0266
- South Tucson Dialysis (Fmc)6.89 miles away2802 South 6th Ave Tucson Arizona 85713Dialysis Stations: 24 (520) 792-2999