Sabal Palms Health Care Center is located in Largo, Florida, a city with 103,921 people. This nursing home received an uninspiring overall grade of D in our grading scheme. In our view, we would be very reluctant to recommend this place. The only positive thing we can really say about this nursing home is that it didn't receive any F's in in any of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Sabal Palms Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it an A- for our inspections rating. This score is significantly more impressive than the nursing home's overall score. Inspection ratings are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these reports. You should especially avoid nursing homes that have severe deficiencies linked to risks to resident well being. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of C in the area. Our nursing grade is primarily associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, although this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of our quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this area.
Does this page answer your questions about Sabal Palms Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second least favorable category is short-term care, where it earned a grade of just D in that category. This is a relatively poor grade. In the area of short-term care, we seek to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Based on its grade in this area, we weren't surprised to find that this place was well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the metrics we looked at. Honestly, this was about what we expected to find. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients that returned home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.8 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our final category, we awarded this facility a grade of D in the area of long-term care. This was the nursing home's weakest category grade. In a long-term care environment, the primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 98.15078 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sabal Palms Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sabal Palms Health Care Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sabal Palms Health Care Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely linked to poor nursing care. More supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sabal Palms Health Care Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sabal Palms Health Care Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sabal Palms Health Care Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sabal Palms Health Care Center, 2.33% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sabal Palms Health Care Center, 94.94% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sabal Palms Health Care Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sabal Palms Health Care Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Sabal Palms Health Care Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sabal Palms Health Care Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sabal Palms Health Care Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sabal Palms Health Care Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Largo, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Largo, Florida has 4 other nursing homes
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.22 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Morton Plant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.9 miles away300 Pinellas St Clearwater Florida 33756Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 462-7000
- Mease Dunedin HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away601 Main St Dunedin Florida 34698Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 733-1111
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.33 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Mease Countryside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.93 miles away3231 Mcmullen Booth Rd Safety Harbor Florida 34695Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 734-6950
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.73 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.02 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- Rai Care Centers - Clearwater1.99 miles away1057 S Fort Harrison Avenue Clearwater Florida 33756CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (727) 441-1608
- Bay Breeze Dialysis Clinic Inc2.25 miles away11550 Ulmerton Rd Largo Florida 33778CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 584-4047
- Fmc - Belleair Home Therapies2.44 miles away617 Lakeview Rd Suite C Clearwater Florida 33756Dialysis Stations: 2 (727) 441-2913
- Fkc - Belleair Dialysis Center2.44 miles away617 Lakeview Road Suite B Clearwater Florida 33756CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 441-8590
- Renviva Dialysis Center of Clearwater, LLC2.65 miles away401 Corbett Suite 250 Clearwater Florida 33756Dialysis Stations: 2 (727) 281-4490
- Rai Care Centers - Largo3.21 miles away12505 Starkey Rd Suite B Largo Florida 33773Dialysis Stations: 21 (727) 531-8227
- Lake Seminole Dialysis5.86 miles away10799 Park Blvd North Seminole Florida 33772Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 319-0180
- Seminole Dialysis Center6.49 miles away6450 Seminole Blvd Seminole Florida 33772Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 393-5551