Rutland Nursing Home is a very-large non-profit facility located in Brooklyn, New York. With an overall score of B-, this looks like a decent facility. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Brooklyn. The best part of this nursing home's profile is its exemplary inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Rutland Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
- For Children
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Blood Administration
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not bad, it really fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A+ for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a positive long-term care score. As a matter of fact, we awarded it a grade of B in that area, which happens to be one of our more favorable scores. For prospective patients in need of a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 69.124084 percent of its patients. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Rutland Nursing Home?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of C. The nursing rating includes quite a few components, however, the primary one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is short-term care, ended up being this nursing home's weakest area. We gave this facility a D in that area. This was one of the couple of weak points on a very solid profile. In the category of short-term care, we try to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Unfortunately, we found that this place offers less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics was damning for this facility's short-term care grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Rutland Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Rutland Nursing Home, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Rutland Nursing Home, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often caused by poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Rutland Nursing Home, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Rutland Nursing Home, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Rutland Nursing Home, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Rutland Nursing Home, 13.2% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Rutland Nursing Home, 91.26% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Rutland Nursing Home, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Rutland Nursing Home, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Rutland Nursing Home, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Rutland Nursing Home, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Rutland Nursing Home, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Rutland Nursing Home, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Brooklyn, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Brooklyn, New York has 39 other nursing homes
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Kings County Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.57 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Government - Local(718) 245-3901
- University Hospital of Brooklyn ( Downstate )Acute Care Hospitals 0.66 miles away445 Lenox Road Brooklyn New York 11203Government - State(718) 270-1000
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.14 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.41 miles away506 Sixth Street Brooklyn New York 11215Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 780-3000
- Woodhull Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.92 miles away760 Broadway Brooklyn New York 11206Government - Local(718) 963-8100
- Brooklyn Hospital Center - Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away121 Dekalb Avenue Brooklyn New York 11201Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 250-8000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 3.25 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center0.05 miles away585 Schenectady Ave Dialysis Dept Brooklyn New York 11203Dialysis Stations: 13 (718) 604-5591
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center - Rnh Dialysis0.05 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Dialysis Stations: 4 (718) 604-5591
- Davita Wingate Dialysis0.52 miles away550 Kingston Ave Brooklyn New York 11203Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 221-5342
- Nyc Health + Hospitals/Kings County0.58 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Dialysis Unit, Rm c6210 Brooklyn New York 11203Dialysis Stations: 26 (718) 613-8151
- Rogosin Institute Brooklyn Home Dialysis Inc0.65 miles awayRogosin Institute Brooklyn Home Dialysis Inc. Brooklyn New York 11231Dialysis Stations: 1 (646) 317-0564
- Suny Parkside Dialysis Center0.83 miles away710 Parkside Avenue Brooklyn New York 11226CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 703-5900
- Prospect Park Dialysis0.89 miles away672 Parkside Avenue Brooklyn New York 11226CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (718) 408-6190
- Brookdale Physicians' Dialysis Associates, Inc.1.02 miles away9701 Church Ave Brooklyn New York 11212CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (718) 495-4680