With an address in Torrance, California, Royalwood Care Center is one of six available nursing homes in this city. Sporting an overall score of C, this appears to be a solid facility. This grade is not too far off the city grade for Torrance, which is a B-. The best part of this facility's report card is is its nursing score. We discuss nursing in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Royalwood Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Torrance senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's nursing grade was better than its overall grade. With a strong performance in this category, it earned one of our better scores in that category with a B+. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time those nurses were with residents, in calculating our score in this category. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of moving residents even once per day.
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of B+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Does this page answer your questions about Royalwood Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best category was long-term care. We gave it a grade of C in this area. This is basically a middle of the pack score in this category. In calculating these long-term care grades, we assess the facility's personal care services. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours is vaccines. Thankfully, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. This facility also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we graded is short-term care, is this facility's weakest area. We gave this facility a D in this category. Our short-term care ratings are considered to be most meaningful for those needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires additional skilled nursing. This means not only nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Considering its score in this category, we were not surprised to discover that this nursing home is well below average in terms of the number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the data we looked at. Honestly, this was about what we expected here. The final measure we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 3.3 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Royalwood Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Royalwood Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Royalwood Care Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that sustained a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Royalwood Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Royalwood Care Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Royalwood Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Royalwood Care Center, 5.83% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Royalwood Care Center, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Royalwood Care Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Royalwood Care Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Royalwood Care Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Royalwood Care Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Royalwood Care Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Royalwood Care Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Torrance, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Torrance, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.74 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 0.9 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.67 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.5 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.8 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.36 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.21 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 13.13 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Home Program0.44 miles away23441 Madison Street #320 Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 4 (310) 378-8452
- u.s. Renal Care Skypark Dialysis0.92 miles away3295 Skypark Drive Torrance California 90505CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (310) 539-5091
- Davitatorrance Emerald Dialysis1.48 miles away20821 Hawthorne Blvd Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 214-1715
- u.s. Renal Care Earl Street Dialysis1.76 miles away20911 Earl Street, Suite 160 Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 9 (310) 371-4244
- u.s. Renal Care Torrance Dialysis Center1.78 miles away20430 Hawthorne Blvd. Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (424) 212-5051
- Davita-Rolling Hills Dialysis2.06 miles away25210 Crenshaw Blvd., Suite 110 Torrance California 90505Dialysis Stations: 27 (310) 530-1180
- u.s. Renal Care Lomita Dialysis2.59 miles away1830 Lomita Blvd. Lomita California 90717CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (310) 530-7796
- Davita-Harbor Ucla2.92 miles away21602 S. Vermont Avenue Torrance California 90502CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (310) 533-0413