Royal Wood Mill Center is in Lawrence, Massachusetts. This facility is one of the most impressive facilities we assessed. It received one of the highest scores we offer. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes in the United States. One of the major highlights of this facility's exemplary report card is its nursing rating. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Royal Wood Mill Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home received a first-rate nursing grade. We gave it an A in that category. Our nursing score is mostly tied to the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a system of turning residents more often.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its strong profile, this facility also was given a strong short-term care grade, with a score of A. In the category of short-term care, we try to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 7.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Royal Wood Mill Center?
In addition, this facility also received a nearly flawless government inspection report. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with an A-. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be quite minor. This particular nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
In our last area, this facility also was given an impressive long-term care grade, with a B+. This finished off a very strong report card. Facilities that receive this kind of score in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are kept in good health. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 54.435486 percent of its residents, which is a bit below what we anticipated. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Royal Wood Mill Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Royal Wood Mill Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Royal Wood Mill Center, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Royal Wood Mill Center, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents who suffered from UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Royal Wood Mill Center, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Royal Wood Mill Center, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients which are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Royal Wood Mill Center, 1.95% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Royal Wood Mill Center, 91.63% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Royal Wood Mill Center, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Royal Wood Mill Center, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels. Many would argue that mobility is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Royal Wood Mill Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Royal Wood Mill Center, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Royal Wood Mill Center, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Royal Wood Mill Center, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.71 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.23 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.99 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.73 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 15.19 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.55 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Anna Jaques HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.45 miles away25 Highland Avenue Newburyport Massachusetts 01950Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 463-1000
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.74 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home2.2 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley2.96 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900
- Fresenius Medical Care of Methuen4.07 miles away421 Merrimack Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Dialysis Stations: 21 (978) 975-3117
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc5.87 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC6.3 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell7.2 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Fresenius Medical Care Chelmsford10.9 miles away27 Industrial Ave Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824Dialysis Stations: 16 (978) 250-0981
- Fresenius Medical Care Danvers13.85 miles away75 Newbury Street Danvers Massachusetts 01923Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 774-0350