Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews is a large nursing home located in Matthews, North Carolina. This facility received an uninspiring overall grade of D in our grading scheme. In our view, we would be very reluctant to recommend this place. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its impressive inspection rating. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category grades
Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it a grade of B for our inspections category. This grade is far more impressive than the facility's overall score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be relatively insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Despite this deficiency, this was still a relatively favorable report.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next best category was its short-term care grade, where it was awarded a grade of B-. In determining our short-term care ratings, we assess the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This score is more often than not a fair assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews?
This facility's next best category was nursing, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. Our nursing grade focuses on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. With a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this place's nurse staffing levels were far below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This place fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at was long-term care. This facility was given a poor grade of F in that area. When facilities receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is a bad sign for patient care and it may mean that the nursing home is not as well-staffed. After looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. We were concerned by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 75.5 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews, 10.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews, 3.21% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who had a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews, 11.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews, 22.05% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews, 3.01% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews, 87.89% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews, 18.87% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews, 24.57% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews, 24.57 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Royal Park Rehab & Health Center of Matthews, 72.58% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.02 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Atrium Health PinevilleAcute Care Hospitals 10.26 miles away10628 Park Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28210Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 379-5000
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 10.3 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Atrium Health UnionAcute Care Hospitals 13.44 miles away600 Hospital Dr Monroe North Carolina 28112Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 283-3100
- Atrium Health University CityAcute Care Hospitals 13.6 miles away8800 North Tyron Street Charlotte North Carolina 28262Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 548-6000
- Rebound Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 18.61 miles away134 East Rebound Road Lancaster South Carolina 29720Proprietary(803) 313-3700
- Fresenius Medical Care Matthews1.72 miles away910 Park Center Drive Matthews North Carolina 28105CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (704) 443-2973
- Fresenius Kidney Care Indian Trail3.35 miles away7862 Idlewild Road Indian Trail North Carolina 28079Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 628-0350
- Dva Healthcare Renal Care, Inc.4.06 miles away11308 Hawthorne Dr Charlotte North Carolina 28227Dialysis Stations: 16 (704) 573-2549
- Independent Nephrology Services Charlotte6.4 miles away6646 Regal Oaks Drive Charlotte North Carolina 28212Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 717-2825
- Bio-Medical Applications of North Carolina, Inc.6.4 miles away6646 Regal Oaks Drive Charlotte North Carolina 28212Dialysis Stations: 12 (704) 535-7231
- Charlotte East Dialysis6.96 miles away5627 Albemarle Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28212CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (704) 535-3962
- Dsi Charlotte Latrobe Dialysis8.23 miles away3515 Latrobe Drive Charlotte North Carolina 28211Dialysis Stations: 24 (704) 366-5299
- South Charlotte Dialysis8.56 miles away6450 Bannington Road Charlotte North Carolina 28226CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (704) 542-9499