Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center is in the large metropolitan area of West Palm Beach, Florida. We awarded this facility an overall grade of C. A score of this caliber requires some solid marks. We wanted to point out that West Palm Beach received a city grade of B+, so you may want to look at other options in the city as well. This place did not meet our expectations in every category we looked at, but it didn't receive any terrible grades either. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
600 Business Park Way,
West Palm Beach FL 33411
98.16% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this facility received a decent overall score is its impeccable government inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with an A. This is a much better score than the facility's overall score, which was decent but certainly not elite. Inspection grades are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to resident health or safety. A few minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second highest category was its long-term care grade, where it was given a C. In our long-term care score, we weigh the sheer quantity of services offered by a nursing home, as well as a few qualitative metrics. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Thankfully, this nursing home vaccinated 99.40476 percent of its residents, which is a very respectable figure. Lastly, we looked at its number of hospitalizations. Here we found that this facility had 4.15 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Although this figure is quite a bit higher than the national average, this number can be skewed for some nursing homes due to the preexisting medical conditions of residents.
Does this page answer your questions about Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center?
Another strength of this facility is its favorable grade in nursing. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a score of D. In determining a nursing home's nursing score, we assess the quantity of hours nurses are seeing patients and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 3.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. This facility also had abysmal marks in several of the quality-based metrics to go along with its weak nursing hour totals. For starters, we looked at the percentage of patients experiencing pressure ulcers. This nursing home was at more than double the national average in this statistic.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the final area, we awarded this facility a grade of D for the area of short-term care. This was the facility's least impressive category grade. Short-term care grades are commonly used to assess a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To offer highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to have higher levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. As you might expect, we learned that this place provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than a typical nursing home. The last measure we assessed in this area is the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. This facility a bit in this area as well, with just 46.4 percent of its patients returning home. This was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 9.04% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents who suffered falls which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint may be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term residents who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.43% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 95.03% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 13.16% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels. Some argue that the ability to move around is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Royal Palm Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for West Palm Beach, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? West Palm Beach, Florida has 11 other nursing homes
- Palms West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away13001 Southern Blvd Loxahatchee Florida 33470Proprietary(561) 753-4245
- Wellington Regional Medical Center LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.22 miles away10101 Forest Hill Blvd Wellington Florida 33414Proprietary(561) 798-8500
- The Jerome Golden Center for Behavioral Health, InPsychiatric 9.8 miles away1041 45th St West Palm Beach Florida 33407Voluntary non-profit - Private(561) 844-9741
- Jfk Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.85 miles away5301 S Congress Ave Lake Worth Florida 33462Proprietary(561) 965-7300
- St Mary's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away901 45th St West Palm Beach Florida 33407Proprietary(561) 840-6202
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.18 miles away1309 N Flagler Dr West Palm Beach Florida 33401Proprietary(561) 655-5511
- Palm Beach Gardens Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.2 miles away3360 Burns Rd Palm Beach Gardens Florida 33410Proprietary(561) 622-1411
- Bethesda Hospital EastAcute Care Hospitals 15.6 miles away2815 S Seacrest Blvd Boynton Beach Florida 33435Voluntary non-profit - Private(561) 737-7733
- Fmc - Royal Palm Beach1.06 miles away6901 Okeechobee Blvd #d19 West Palm Beach Florida 33411Dialysis Stations: 18 (561) 616-3335
- Western Community Dialysis Center LLC1.12 miles away11301 Okeechobee Blvd West Palm Beach Florida 33411CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (561) 791-2252
- Wellington Dialysis1.48 miles away573 N State Road 7 West Palm Beach Florida 33411Dialysis Stations: 16 (561) 793-4285
- Fresenius Kidney Care of Wellington West2.67 miles away1221 S State Road 7 Suite 101 Wellington Florida 33414Dialysis Stations: 17 (561) 784-4046
- Renal Care Center - Wellington6.15 miles away9835 Lake Worth Rd Ste 13 Lake Worth Florida 33467Dialysis Stations: 19 (561) 969-7799
- Palm Springs Dialysis Center, LLC6.79 miles away1890 S Military Trail West Palm Beach Florida 33415Dialysis Stations: 17 (561) 966-9448
- Greenacres Dialysis Center7.06 miles away5702 Lake Worth Road #1 Lake Worth Florida 33463Dialysis Stations: 12 (561) 357-9547
- Fmc - Lake Clarke Shores Dialysis Center7.98 miles away3047 Forest Hill Blvd West Palm Beach Florida 33406Dialysis Stations: 13 (561) 641-9611