Royal Oaks is a small non-profit nursing home located in Duarte, California. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B, which is a good score. This proved to be better than most of the nursing homes in Duarte. The best part of this nursing home's impressive profile was its short-term care grade. We discuss short-term care in the next section
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Contracted Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this proved to be a quality nursing home is that it received a very impressive short-term care grade. In fact, short-term care is its best category. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an A. Our short-term care grade is typically used to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. Nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this facility an B+. There are a variety of criteria within this area. Most of these factors are tied to nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving a patient more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Royal Oaks?
Another strong feature for this nursing home is that it excelled in the area of inspections, with a B in that category. Inspection grades are based on many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's least impressive area is long-term care, which is the last area we assessed. In this category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of D. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. After assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to find that this nursing home vaccinated 97.08738 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Royal Oaks Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Royal Oaks, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Royal Oaks, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients which suffered falls which resulted in serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Royal Oaks, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric can also be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Royal Oaks, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Royal Oaks, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that are administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Royal Oaks, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating signs of depression. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Royal Oaks, 95.72% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Royal Oaks, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Royal Oaks, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels.
In Royal Oaks, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Royal Oaks, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Royal Oaks, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Royal Oaks, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Duarte, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of C
Looking for more options? Duarte, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 4.3 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.7 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.98 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.25 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.32 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.2 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.52 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.51 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Mountain View Dialysis Center, Inc.1.04 miles away900 S. Mountain Avenue Monrovia California 91016Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 932-1810
- Fmc-Irwindale3.18 miles away12711 Ramona Blvd., Suite 111 Baldwin Park California 91706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 856-3944
- Azusa Dialysis Center, LLC3.68 miles away312 N. Azusa Avenue Azusa California 91702Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 633-1500
- Advanced Dialysis Center4.03 miles away3932 Downing Avenue Baldwin Park California 91706Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 856-3333
- Davita-Arcadia Oaks Dialysis5 miles away721 W Huntington Drive, Suite a-D Arcadia California 91007CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 294-9682
- Davita-Covina Dialysis Center5.19 miles away1547 W. Garvey Avenue North West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 960-9404
- Davita-Glendora Foothills Dialysis5.26 miles away750 West Route 66, Suite Q Glendora California 91740Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 335-2063
- Fmc-West Covina Kidney Center5.35 miles away1540 W. Covina Parkway West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 337-8007