Harvard Creek Post Acute is one of four nursing homes in Covina, California. This nursing home received an elite overall rating of A, making it one of the top facilities in Covina. This really is impressive since the city has some very good nursing homes. In our view, this facility looks like a wonderful choice for most people. This place's strong profile was highlighted by its long-term care grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Harvard Creek Post Acute
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home excelled in our shot-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is much higher than the average nursing home. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
This facility has received near flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Harvard Creek Post Acute?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. Our nursing rating is based on several factors, many of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
In the final area, this nursing home also was given an excellent short-term care rating, with a B+. This wrapped up an elite profile. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Harvard Creek Post Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Harvard Creek Post Acute, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Harvard Creek Post Acute, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Harvard Creek Post Acute, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Closer supervision can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Harvard Creek Post Acute, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents which are given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Harvard Creek Post Acute, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that were prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Harvard Creek Post Acute, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Increased levels of depression could be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Harvard Creek Post Acute, 95.72% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Harvard Creek Post Acute, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Harvard Creek Post Acute, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who maintained mobility. Many argue that mobility is vital to residents' mental and physical health.
In Harvard Creek Post Acute, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Harvard Creek Post Acute, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Harvard Creek Post Acute, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Harvard Creek Post Acute, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Covina, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Covina, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.41 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.48 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.45 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 8.91 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.04 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Montclair Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.66 miles away5000 San Bernardino St Montclair California 91763Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 625-8300
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 11.7 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Citrus Dialysis Center0.42 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Covina0.44 miles away158 W. College Street Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 859-2522
- Davita-Covina Dialysis Center2.49 miles away1547 W. Garvey Avenue North West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 960-9404
- Fmc-Irwindale2.53 miles away12711 Ramona Blvd., Suite 111 Baldwin Park California 91706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 856-3944
- Fmc-West Covina Kidney Center2.57 miles away1540 W. Covina Parkway West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 337-8007
- Azusa Dialysis Center, LLC2.84 miles away312 N. Azusa Avenue Azusa California 91702Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 633-1500
- Davita-Glendora Foothills Dialysis3.1 miles away750 West Route 66, Suite Q Glendora California 91740Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 335-2063
- Queens Dialysis Unit, Inc.3.11 miles away1135 S. Sunset Avenue, Suite 103 West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 337-4245