Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center is in the large metropolitan area of Long Beach, California which has a population of 471,952 people. This facility received an overall rating of B. This proved to be ranked among the top ten facilities in Long Beach. Even with Long Beach offering 26 other nursing homes to select from, this facility should be a respectable option. The best aspect of this facility's strong report card is its nursing score. We discuss nursing in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Long Beach senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a quality nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in nursing, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes fared better in this area. There are several criteria within this category. Many of the criteria relate to nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
This facility also excelled in the area of inspections. We awarded it an B+ for that category. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category usually have few severe deficiencies. While this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's third most favorable category ended up being its long-term care grade, where it was given a B-. Our long-term care ratings are more critical for individuals requiring more conventional services related to personal care. After considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we rated is short-term care. In this category, we awarded this facility a grade of C. With our short-term care category, we endeavor to forge a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess a nursing home's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. It doesn't look like this facility provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 3.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center, 4.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term care residents that have pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that have sustained falls resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indicator of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric may be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center, 8.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center, 6.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center, 1.27% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center, 99.19% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center, 3.11% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center, 4.66% of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center, 4.66% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center, 9.91% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Royal Care Skilled Nursing Center, 88.52% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.04 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.9 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.46 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.08 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.26 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.63 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 8.63 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.71 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center0.56 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center1.46 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- u.s. Renal Care Long Beach Dialysis1.9 miles away1045 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 108 Long Beach California 90813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 435-3637
- Davita-United Dialysis Center2.06 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155
- Davita-Bixby Knolls Dialysis2.06 miles away3744 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 424-1403
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis2.41 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis2.74 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Fmc-Long Beach2.76 miles away440 W. Ocean Blvd. Long Beach California 90802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 432-4444