Rosecrans Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Gardena, California. With an overall grade of C, this appears to be a solid facility. This grade is not too far off the city grade for Gardena, which is a B-. This facility is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of our four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Rosecrans Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1140 West Rosecrans Avenue,
Gardena CA 90247
87.73% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We would like to point out that this facility's nursing rating exceeded its overall rating. This facility earned a B in this category, which is one of our better grades. Our nursing rating is based on many subcategories, however, the most important consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's long-term care score appears to be one of its more favorable features. The facility was awarded a grade of B- in this area. Our long-term care ratings are more important for patients in need of more traditional assistance related to activities of daily living. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Rosecrans Care Center?
This facility received a good score in the area of inspections as well. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the fourth area, this nursing home received a decent short-term care grade of C. In determining our short-term care scores, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our purpose is to devise a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. We were surprised to find that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 3.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Rosecrans Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Rosecrans Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of long-term patients who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Rosecrans Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Rosecrans Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indicator of poor nursing care. However, this datapoint may also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Rosecrans Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay patients which were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Rosecrans Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Rosecrans Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents showing signs of depression. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Rosecrans Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Rosecrans Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Rosecrans Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Rosecrans Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Rosecrans Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Rosecrans Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Rosecrans Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Gardena, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Gardena, California has 7 other nursing homes
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.26 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.86 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.71 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 6.87 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 7.19 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.86 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.94 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 9.47 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- u.s. Renal Care Gardena Dialysis - Redondo0.63 miles away1045 W. Redondo Beach Blvd., Suite 105 Gardena California 90247CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (310) 515-0788
- u.s. Renal Care Gardena Dialysis - 190th2.5 miles away1149 W. 190th Street, Suite 1004 Gardena California 90248CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (310) 965-0830
- Davita-Gateway Plaza Dialysis Center2.52 miles away1580 W. Rosecrans Avenue Compton California 90220CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (310) 631-3085
- Davita-Imperial Dialysis2.64 miles away2738 W. Imperial Highway Inglewood California 90303CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 779-5399
- Davita-Hawthorne Dialysis2.76 miles away14204 Prairie Avenue Hawthorne California 90250CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 349-1174
- Fmc-Rai-Compton-Los Angeles3.18 miles away11859 Compton Avenue Los Angeles California 90059CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (323) 563-1140
- Mobile Dialysis Services, Inc. (Compton)3.31 miles away801 W. Compton Blvd. Compton California 90220Dialysis Stations: 36 (310) 637-9026
- Davita-Kenneth Hahn Plaza Dialysis Center3.66 miles away11854 S. Wilmington Avenue Los Angeles California 90059CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 567-5077