Rockaway Care Center is one of many options at your disposal in Far Rockaway, New York. Featuring an overall grade of C, this looks like a middle of the road facility. Based on our ratings, this facility ought to meet the needs of many people. The best part of this facility's report card is its exemplary inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Rockaway Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Far Rockaway senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Radiation Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it received an elite inspection grade. In fact, its inspection grade was far superior to its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave it an A+. Inspection grades are based on many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This place received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home received strong long-term care marks in this assessment. We gave them one of our more favorable grades in that category, with a B. This proved to be the facility's second highest score. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are kept in good health. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 98.60724 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Rockaway Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third most favorable area was short-term care. We awarded it a C in this area. This is essentially a middle of the road score in this category. Our short-term care scores are important for patients in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a wide range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than a typical facility. The hope is that this does not adversely impact the quality of care. The last statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. This figure was below the national average.
The next area we scored is nursing. It received an abysmal F for this area, which is a poor score. This is clearly a significant concern. We weighed the levels of nurses employed by the facility, as well as the quantity of time those nurses worked with residents, in calculating our rating in this category. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. This nursing home also had terrible scores in some of the quality-based metrics to go along with its weak nursing hours. For starters, we looked at the percent of residents sustaining pressure ulcers. This nursing home was at more than double the national average in this statistic. This is concerning when you consider that many pressure ulcers are preventable with better nursing care. This ended up sealing the nursing home's fate of receiving a weak nursing grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Rockaway Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Rockaway Care Center, 14.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Rockaway Care Center, 0.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Rockaway Care Center, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Rockaway Care Center, 8.96% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Rockaway Care Center, 16.31% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents showing symptoms of depression. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Rockaway Care Center, 98.89% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Rockaway Care Center, 6.36% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Rockaway Care Center, 6.97% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Rockaway Care Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Rockaway Care Center, 6.97% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Rockaway Care Center, 4.94% of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Rockaway Care Center, 80.93% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Far Rockaway, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Far Rockaway, New York has 10 other nursing homes
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 1.4 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.64 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.02 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.59 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 8.86 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.12 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Kings County Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.48 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Government - Local(718) 245-3901
- University Hospital of Brooklyn ( Downstate )Acute Care Hospitals 9.5 miles away445 Lenox Road Brooklyn New York 11203Government - State(718) 270-1000
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center1.35 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- Rockaway Hd LLC1.37 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC1.81 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.55 miles away134-35 Springfield Boulevard Springfield Gardens New York 11413CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 978-1233
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC4.57 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Fms-St. Alban's Dialysis Center6.15 miles away172-70 Baisley Blvd Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 949-1600
- Davita Queens Dialysis Center6.19 miles away118-01 Guy R. Brewer Boulevard Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 341-6711
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc6.27 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444