Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson is a very-large nursing home located in Detroit, Michigan. This is not a high quality nursing home with a D overall grade. Unfortunately, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Detroit. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 23 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection grade. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it an A- for our inspections rating. This score is far more impressive than the facility's overall grade. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be quite minor. This nursing home was assessed 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This means that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to be an immediate threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next best area is its long-term care grade, where it was awarded a grade of C. Our long-term care grade is generally used to gauge a nursing home's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 93.09624 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be a few points less than we were hoping for but still a decent percentage. Nevertheless, this nursing home excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson?
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. In determining a facility's nursing rating, we assess the amount of time nurses are with patients as well as the level of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these metrics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the last category, this facility did not fare very well here either. With a rock bottom grade of F in short-term care, this is really as as uninspiring as it gets. In the category of short-term care, we seek to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Given its grade in this area, we weren't surprised to discover that this facility is well below average in terms of the number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the data we assessed. The final statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3.9 percent of its patients returning home. This was well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care. More supervision reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better nursing care can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents which were given antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients which were given antianxiety medication. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson, 3.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson, 91.43% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Riverview Health & Rehab Center Jefferson, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 22 other nursing homes
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 2.87 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.57 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.39 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.52 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.93 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 11.66 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Fmc Dialysis - Bewick0.08 miles away7733 E Jefferson Ave Ste 120 Detroit Michigan 48214Dialysis Stations: 30 (313) 824-3430
- Childrens Hospital of Michigan Dialysis2.85 miles away3950 Beaubien Blvd Pediatric Specialty Center Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 9 (313) 832-8720
- Davita - Motor City Dialysis3.06 miles away4727 Saint Antoine St Suite 101 Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 831-6842
- Great Lakes Dialysis, LLC3.36 miles away14614 Kercheval St Detroit Michigan 48215Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 308-4200
- Davita of Detroit - Kresge3.37 miles away4145 Cass Ave Detroit Michigan 48201CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 833-4330
- New Center Dialysis of Davita4.39 miles away7700 2nd Ave Ste 130 Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (313) 870-9473
- Greenfield Hs - Detroit West Pavilion4.6 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (313) 916-7062
- Davita - Cadieux5.54 miles away6150 Cadieux Rd Detroit Michigan 48224Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 640-9295