Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton is a facility in Hampton, Virginia. This city has 136,895 people. This facility received an overall grade of B+, which is very favorable grade. This actually proved to be the top nursing home in Hampton. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a strong nursing home is that it earned an impressive inspection score. In fact, inspections turned out to be its best category grade. In that category, we gave this facility an A. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This means the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among this nursing home's other accomplishments is its dominant long-term care grade. We gave them one of our more favorable grades in that area, with a grade of A-. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 83.38461 percent of its residents. This is slightly less than we anticipated. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, at least this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was short-term care. This facility received a very positive short-term care grade, with a B+ in the category. In computing our short-term care ratings, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to create a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this nursing home provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Moving on to our final category, this nursing home was given an acceptable nursing grade. Even though this wasn't quite as impressive as several of its other category grades, this is really nothing to be ashamed of. Nursing grades are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This place averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is well below average. Lastly, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics. Although this place got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of these quality measures. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this metric. This can be an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning patients more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton, 2.59% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton, 13.53% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who are administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton, 20.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton, 3.59% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some experts would argue this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton, 91.36% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton, 16.53% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton, 23.38% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton, 1.23 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton, 23.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton, 11.33 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Riverside Rehabilitation Center at Hampton, 75.1% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Hampton, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Hampton, Virginia has 3 other nursing homes
- Sentara Careplex HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.37 miles away3000 Coliseum Drive Hampton Virginia 23666Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 736-1000
- Riverside Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away500 J Clyde Morris Blvd Newport News Virginia 23601Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 594-2000
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.05 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 10.95 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.03 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Mary Immaculate HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.01 miles away2 Bernardine Drive Newport News Virginia 23602Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 886-6000
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 12.13 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.25 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Langley Dialysis2.33 miles away5 W. Mercury Boulevard Hampton Virginia 23669CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (757) 723-4620
- Rai - Chesapeake-Newport News2.46 miles away225 Chesapeake Avenue Newport News Virginia 23607Dialysis Stations: 10 (757) 247-4080
- Rai - Mercury Blvd-Hampton3.18 miles away3319 West Mercury Blvd Hampton Virginia 23666CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 826-1795
- Butler Farm Dialysis4.12 miles away501 a Butler Farm Rd Hampton Virginia 23666CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 766-1921
- Davita - Newport News4.18 miles away711 79th Street Newport News Virginia 23605CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (757) 245-8090
- Jefferson Avenue Dialysis6.44 miles away11234 Jefferson Ave Newport News Virginia 23601CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 595-6167
- Zara Dialysis LLC6.44 miles away11234 Jefferson Ave Ste B Newport News Virginia 23601Dialysis Stations: 8 (757) 595-5469
- Rai - Thimble Shoals-Newport News7.27 miles away739 Thimble Shoals Blvd Ste 600 Newport News Virginia 23606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 873-1090