Waterview Health and Rehab Center is a facility in Hampton, Virginia. This city has 136,895 people. This facility received an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack grade. You could definitely do worse than this nursing home. The best part of this facility's report card was its remarkable inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Waterview Health and Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Hampton senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it received an excellent inspection score. In fact, its inspection grade was far superior to its overall score. In the inspections category, we gave this facility a grade of A. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B in our short-term care category. This happens to be one of our more impressive scores. Our short-term care grade is generally employed to measure a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must have higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. We were not able to find registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients that were able to return home from this facility. We found that 6.7 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Waterview Health and Rehab Center?
Turning to another strength for this facility, it also earned an elite nursing score. In fact, we gave this nursing home an D. Our nursing grade assesses several subcategories, however, the paramount consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home averaged only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our final category, we gave this nursing home a grade of D in the area of long-term care. This is the nursing home's weakest category rating. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means the nursing home didn't perform well in our measures relating to patient care. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 38.88889 percent of its residents. This is pretty significantly below average. To our surprise, this facility was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Waterview Health and Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Waterview Health and Rehab Center, 12.6% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Waterview Health and Rehab Center, 2.34% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Waterview Health and Rehab Center, 0.9% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic can be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Waterview Health and Rehab Center, 9.43% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Waterview Health and Rehab Center, 17.96% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Waterview Health and Rehab Center, 7.38% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some experts would argue this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Waterview Health and Rehab Center, 65% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Waterview Health and Rehab Center, 22.88% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Waterview Health and Rehab Center, 28.11% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Waterview Health and Rehab Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Waterview Health and Rehab Center, 28.11% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Waterview Health and Rehab Center, 21.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Waterview Health and Rehab Center, 70.99% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Hampton, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Hampton, Virginia has 3 other nursing homes
- Sentara Careplex HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.37 miles away3000 Coliseum Drive Hampton Virginia 23666Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 736-1000
- Riverside Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away500 J Clyde Morris Blvd Newport News Virginia 23601Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 594-2000
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.05 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 10.95 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.03 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Mary Immaculate HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.01 miles away2 Bernardine Drive Newport News Virginia 23602Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 886-6000
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 12.13 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.25 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Langley Dialysis2.33 miles away5 W. Mercury Boulevard Hampton Virginia 23669CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (757) 723-4620
- Rai - Chesapeake-Newport News2.46 miles away225 Chesapeake Avenue Newport News Virginia 23607Dialysis Stations: 10 (757) 247-4080
- Rai - Mercury Blvd-Hampton3.18 miles away3319 West Mercury Blvd Hampton Virginia 23666CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 826-1795
- Butler Farm Dialysis4.12 miles away501 a Butler Farm Rd Hampton Virginia 23666CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 766-1921
- Davita - Newport News4.18 miles away711 79th Street Newport News Virginia 23605CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (757) 245-8090
- Jefferson Avenue Dialysis6.44 miles away11234 Jefferson Ave Newport News Virginia 23601CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 595-6167
- Zara Dialysis LLC6.44 miles away11234 Jefferson Ave Ste B Newport News Virginia 23601Dialysis Stations: 8 (757) 595-5469
- Rai - Thimble Shoals-Newport News7.27 miles away739 Thimble Shoals Blvd Ste 600 Newport News Virginia 23606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 873-1090