Rivergate Health Care Center is a very-large nursing home located in Riverview, Michigan. This isn't a high quality nursing home with a D overall grade. Unfortunately, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Riverview. If you are not satisfied with this facility's low overall grade, you may find you have slim pickings in Riverview. The city has just two other nursing homes. If you aren't deterred by this place's profile, you can continue reading to find out about its category grades. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Rivergate Health Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
14041 Pennsylvania Rd,
Riverview MI 48193
69.86% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were down on this nursing home overall, we awarded it a B for our nursing rating. This score is quite a bit more impressive than the facility's overall score. We scrutinized the levels of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of hours those nurses were with residents, in determining our score in this area. This facility provided 2.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at certain nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these datapoints as reliable measures of the caliber of nursing care being provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Surprisingly, this nursing home actually earned a good grade in the area of inspections as well. We gave it a B for that category, which is one of our better scores. Not many facilities that were this poor overall earned multiple category grades of this caliber. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid places that had a long list of deficiencies. This nursing home received 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Rivergate Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this facility just a D for our short-term care score. This is not an impressive grade. In computing our short-term care ratings, we size up a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. This rating is more often than not a solid assessment of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 38.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, around half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was long-term care, in which this nursing home received a bottom of the barrel score in this area as well. We gave it a lowly F in this category, which is obviously very concerning. Facilities that do not fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. We were concerned by the fact that this facility vaccinated a relatively low 85.96154 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 1.36 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Rivergate Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Rivergate Health Care Center, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Rivergate Health Care Center, 2.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Rivergate Health Care Center, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Rivergate Health Care Center, 13.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Rivergate Health Care Center, 18.58% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Rivergate Health Care Center, 3.45% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Rivergate Health Care Center, 91.71% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Rivergate Health Care Center, 12.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Rivergate Health Care Center, 19.59% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Rivergate Health Care Center, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Rivergate Health Care Center, 19.59 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Rivergate Health Care Center, 10.82 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Rivergate Health Care Center, 76.52% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Henry Ford Wyandotte HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.93 miles away2333 Biddle Ave Wyandotte Michigan 48192Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 246-6000
- Beaumont Hospital - TrentonAcute Care Hospitals 4.87 miles away5450 Fort Street Trenton Michigan 48183Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 671-3800
- Beaumont Hospital - TaylorAcute Care Hospitals 5.07 miles away10000 Telegraph Road Taylor Michigan 48180Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 295-5253
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 7.48 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Beaumont Hospital - WayneAcute Care Hospitals 10.65 miles away33155 Annapolis Ave Wayne Michigan 48184Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 467-4175
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.81 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.55 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 13.68 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Riverview Dialysis of Davita0.71 miles away18236 Fort St Riverview Michigan 48193CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (734) 283-4513
- Davita - Southgate2.17 miles away14752 Northline Rd Southgate Michigan 48195CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (734) 284-0005
- Fresenius Medical Care - Taylor3.79 miles away22970 Northline Rd Ste 100 Taylor Michigan 48180Dialysis Stations: 12 (734) 287-6585
- Lincoln Park Kidney Center LLC4.66 miles away1491 Southfield Rd Lincoln Park Michigan 48146Dialysis Stations: 20 (313) 928-4560
- Greenfield Hs - Taylor5.27 miles away24565 Haig Road Taylor Michigan 48180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (313) 291-7800
- Davita - Downriver Kidney Ctr5.39 miles away5600 Allen Rd Allen Park Michigan 48101CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 382-5933
- Davita - Oakwood Renal Services7.48 miles away18100 Oakwood Blvd Ste 206 Dearborn Michigan 48124Dialysis Stations: 18 (313) 438-7959
- Davita - Dearborn at Home8.64 miles away22030 Park St Dearborn Michigan 48124Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 792-7343