Riverdale Nursing Home is located in Bronx, New York, which features a host of nursing homes. Sporting an overall grade of C, this looks like a middle of the pack facility. This grade is not too far off the city grade for Bronx, which is a B-. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was long-term care, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Riverdale Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Bronx senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This facility fared well in long-term care, with a grade of A- in this category. This really propped up its overall grade quite a bit. For prospective residents looking for a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 39.691715 percent of its patients. This is somewhat below what we were hoping for. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, we were pleased to find place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
This facility also excelled in inspections, where it earned an A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our inspection ratings are tied to several items located in the a nursing home's inspections. Nursing homes that score well in this area have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This facility received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Riverdale Nursing Home?
Another strength of this facility is its favorable grade in nursing. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a score of D. Our nursing grade is based on many subcategories. The most heavily weighted one is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our next area, this facility didn't fare well. With an abysmal grade of F in short-term care, this is this facility's poorest area. In the area of short-term care, we seek to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Considering its weak score in this area, we weren't stunned to learn that this place offered substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 3.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Riverdale Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Riverdale Nursing Home, 7.21% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Riverdale Nursing Home, 0.19% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents which suffered falls which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Riverdale Nursing Home, 1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Riverdale Nursing Home, 6.91% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Riverdale Nursing Home, 10.79% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Riverdale Nursing Home, 1.69% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Riverdale Nursing Home, 67.49% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Riverdale Nursing Home, 20.27% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Riverdale Nursing Home, 21.82% of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Riverdale Nursing Home, 0.04 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Riverdale Nursing Home, 21.82% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Riverdale Nursing Home, 9.41% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Riverdale Nursing Home, 85.07% of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 43 other nursing homes
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.81 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.34 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.46 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.55 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.87 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.46 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.53 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Davita Riverdale Dialysis Center0.62 miles away170 W. 233rd Street Bronx New York 10463CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 884-4300
- Bronx River Nephro Care at the Plaza Rehab & Nursing Center1.16 miles away100 West Kingsbridge Road Bronx New York 10468Dialysis Stations: 15 (347) 982-2420
- Davita Bedford Park Dialysis Center2.09 miles away3119 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 920-1530
- St. Barnabas Hospital Opd Dialysis Center2.35 miles away4451 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (718) 960-3860
- Davita Mount Hope Dialysis Center2.45 miles away1940 Webster Avenue 2nd Floor Bronx New York 10457Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 901-9122
- Davita South Bronx Dialysis Center2.45 miles away1940 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 299-9212
- Grand Concourse Dialysis Facility2.53 miles away1780 Grand Concourse Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 583-1800
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc2.54 miles away3525 White Plains Road, Suite B Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 547-4562