River Oaks Retirement Manor is a nursing home located in Lafayette, Louisiana, which has a population of 151,705 people. This nursing home turns out to be a solid facility, with an overall grade of C. This nursing home has a few things going for it. The best part of this place's profile was its stellar inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next section.
River Oaks Retirement Manor
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its relatively modest overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its inspection grade. This grade is far better than its overall grade. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be quite insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we had a generally favorable view of this facility's recent inspections.
Long-term Care Quality
The second most favorable area we gave this nursing home in any area came in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. With our long-term care grade, we analyze the amount of services offered by a facility, as well as a series of qualitative measures. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 99.30796 percent of its patients. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about River Oaks Retirement Manor?
Turning to another strength for this facility, it also earned an elite nursing score. We gave this facility an D. Nursing grades are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This facility fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the next area, this nursing home really didn't perform well. Due to a poor grade of F in short-term care, this was its worst area. In determining these short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to formulate a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. With a score of this caliber in this area, we weren't shocked to learn that this nursing home was below average in several staffing figures we assess. The facility offered substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other facilities. The last item we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 3.6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics doomed this nursing home's short-term care grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
River Oaks Retirement Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In River Oaks Retirement Manor, 9.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In River Oaks Retirement Manor, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are routinely linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In River Oaks Retirement Manor, 2.76% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In River Oaks Retirement Manor, 15.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In River Oaks Retirement Manor, 22.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In River Oaks Retirement Manor, 1.54% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are showing signs of depression. Many would argue this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In River Oaks Retirement Manor, 89.03% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In River Oaks Retirement Manor, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In River Oaks Retirement Manor, 16.37% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that maintained mobility.
In River Oaks Retirement Manor, 1.85 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In River Oaks Retirement Manor, 16.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In River Oaks Retirement Manor, 12.9 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Scores for Lafayette, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Lafayette, Louisiana has 7 other nursing homes
- Lafayette General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.2 miles away1214 Coolidge Avenue Lafayette Louisiana 70503Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 289-7991
- University Hospital & ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 3.3 miles away2390 West Congress Lafayette Louisiana 70506Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 261-6000
- Heart Hospital of LafayetteAcute Care Hospitals 4.03 miles away1105 Kaliste Saloom Road Lafayette Louisiana 70508Proprietary(337) 521-1000
- Our Lady of Lourdes Regional Medical Center, IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.88 miles away4801 Ambassador Caffery Parkway Lafayette Louisiana 70508Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 470-2100
- St Martin HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 7.34 miles away210 Champagne Boulevard Breaux Bridge Louisiana 70517Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 332-2178
- Acadia St LandryCritical Access Hospitals 17.58 miles away810 South Broadway Street Church Point Louisiana 70525Government - Hospital District or Authority(337) 684-5435
- Abbeville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.61 miles away118 N Hospital Dr Abbeville Louisiana 70510Government - Hospital District or Authority(337) 893-5466
- Fmcna - East Lafayette0.29 miles away1340 Surrey Lafayette Louisiana 70501Dialysis Stations: 15 (337) 264-1265
- Dci - Kidney Care of Acadiana-Lafayette2.07 miles away224 St Landry Ste 3c Lafayette Louisiana 70506Dialysis Stations: 10 (337) 231-5511
- Fmcna - North Lafayette2.35 miles away910 Martin Luther King Dr Lafayette Louisiana 70501Dialysis Stations: 18 (337) 234-0084
- Dci - Kidney Treatment Options Ctr, LLC (Ktoc)3.53 miles away301 Alcide Dominique Road Lafayette Louisiana 70506Dialysis Stations: 26 (337) 456-7400
- Davita - Youngsville Dialysis4.71 miles away314 Youngsville Hwy, Ste 125 Lafayette Louisiana 70508Dialysis Stations: 15 (337) 837-5044
- Fmcna - West Lafayette5.5 miles away2804 Ambassador Caffery Pkwy Lafayette Louisiana 70506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (337) 984-7299
- Fmcna - Breaux Bridge6.56 miles away100 Champagne Blvd Bldg A Breaux Bridge Louisiana 70517Dialysis Stations: 12 (337) 332-6817
- Fmcna - Sunset13.62 miles away115 Acorn St Sunset Louisiana 70584Dialysis Stations: 16 (337) 662-3702