Risen Son Christian Village is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Council Bluffs, Iowa. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack grade. Based on the data we reviewed, there are definitely much worse nursing homes out there. One of the highlights of this facility's profile is its strong short-term care rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Risen Son Christian Village
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Council Bluffs senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We want to note that this facility received a much better grade for short-term care than it received overall. It received one of our highest scores in that category with an A-. In computing our short-term care grades, we size up a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This rating is frequently a fair assessment of the facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
In addition, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B+ in our nursing category. This is one of our better grades. Nursing scores are based largely on quantity of nursing care available. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of turning residents at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Risen Son Christian Village?
This facility earned a solid inspection report this year as well, with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that category with a score of B-. Our inspection scores are based on pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to patient safety. While this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few relatively minor dings are not necessarily something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the last area, we awarded this facility a D in our long-term care category. This was the facility's least impressive category rating. Naturally, this category pulled down the nursing home's overall profile to some degree. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in this category may not provide the kind of consistent around the clock care that some other facilities provide. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We found that this nursing home provided the vaccine to a relatively low 83.24873 percent of its residents, which is somewhat alarming. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Risen Son Christian Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Risen Son Christian Village, 6.16% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Risen Son Christian Village, 3.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Risen Son Christian Village, 3.28% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents which suffered from a UTI. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Risen Son Christian Village, 17.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Risen Son Christian Village, 19.26% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Risen Son Christian Village, 4.67% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Risen Son Christian Village, 93.67% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Risen Son Christian Village, 17.07% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Risen Son Christian Village, 16.9% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Risen Son Christian Village, 1.48 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Risen Son Christian Village, 16.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Risen Son Christian Village, 12.73 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Risen Son Christian Village, 77.73% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
- Methodist Jennie EdmundsonAcute Care Hospitals 3.12 miles away933 East Pierce Street Council Bluffs Iowa 51503Voluntary non-profit - Private(712) 396-6000
- Chi Health Mercy Council BluffsAcute Care Hospitals 3.26 miles away800 Mercy Drive Council Bluffs Iowa 51503Voluntary non-profit - Private(712) 328-5000
- Bellevue Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.98 miles away2500 Bellevue Medical Center Dr Bellevue Nebraska 68123Proprietary(402) 763-3600
- Chi Health Creighton University Medical Center - BAcute Care Hospitals 11.82 miles away7500 Mercy Rd Omaha Nebraska 68124Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 398-6060
- Children's Hospital & Medical CenterChildrens 12.59 miles away8200 Dodge St Omaha Nebraska 68114Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 955-5400
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.64 miles away8303 Dodge St Omaha Nebraska 68114Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 354-4000
- Chi Health ImmanuelAcute Care Hospitals 13.12 miles away6901 North 72nd St Omaha Nebraska 68122Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 572-2121
- Chi Health MidlandsAcute Care Hospitals 14.16 miles away11111 South 84th St Papillion Nebraska 68046Voluntary non-profit - Church(402) 593-3000
- Council Bluffs Dialysis Center3.21 miles away300 W Broadway Suite 150 Council Bluffs Iowa 51503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (712) 388-0261
- Cornhusker Dialysis8.38 miles away505 Cornhusker Rd #107 Bellevue Nebraska 68005Dialysis Stations: 12 (402) 292-2813
- Omaha South Dialysis8.51 miles away3339 L Street Omaha Nebraska 68107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (402) 734-0772
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Omaha8.67 miles away3316 Dodge St. Omaha Nebraska 68131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (402) 342-0190
- Omaha Central Dialysis9.14 miles away144 S 40th Street Omaha Nebraska 68131Dialysis Stations: 17 (402) 558-0818
- Rai Care Center9.24 miles away4411 Center Ste A Omaha Nebraska 68105CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (402) 558-3284
- Omaha Florence Dialysis10.48 miles away7454 N 30th St Omaha Nebraska 68112Dialysis Stations: 12 (402) 451-0723
- Rai Care Center - Ames Ave10.95 miles away5084 Ames Ave Omaha Nebraska 68104Dialysis Stations: 17 (402) 451-7754