Riderwood is located in Silver Spring, Maryland, which is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the nation. This nursing home proved to be an A+ facility, which is our top score. You simply can not do any better than this nursing home. Scroll down to find this facility's category scores, which also impressed us. You really can't do any better than a straight A profile.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Silver Spring, Maryland Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Silver Spring, Maryland Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received an A+ short-term care grade. In determining our short-term care scores, we scrutinize a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This rating is often a useful assessment of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Another reason we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Our nursing rating includes numerous datapoints. The most heavily weighted factor is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of turning patients even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about Riderwood?
Another quality feature of this facility is its inspection grade. In that category, we gave this facility an A. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with better grades in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our last category, this nursing home also excelled in our long-term care category. In fact, we gave it an A for that category. This completed a straight A profile. When facilities receive this kind of grade in this category it is a good sign for patient care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 98.78049 percent of its residents, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Riderwood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Riderwood, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term stay patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Riderwood, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Riderwood, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of poor nursing care. However, this metric can be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Riderwood, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used for several conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Riderwood, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Riderwood, 10.18% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents showing signs of depression. Higher levels of depression may indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Riderwood, 92.14% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Riderwood, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Riderwood, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Riderwood, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Riderwood, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Riderwood, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Riderwood, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Silver Spring, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Silver Spring, Maryland has 13 other nursing homes
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.48 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.29 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.92 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.76 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 8.79 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.45 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Bedell Dialysis, LLC1.35 miles away13875 Outlet Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 890-1504
- Fmc - Silver Spring1.35 miles away12120 Plum Orchard Rd Ste 140 Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 572-2484
- Cadia Dialysis Springbrook2.32 miles away12325 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 11 (301) 244-3028
- Rai - Baltimore-Beltsville2.64 miles away10701 Baltimore Ave Beltsville Maryland 20705Dialysis Stations: 20 (301) 595-0263
- Calverton Dialysis2.72 miles away4780 Corridor Place Ste C Beltsville Maryland 20705CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 595-0231
- Ara - Adelphi3.86 miles away1801 Metzerott Rd Hyattsville Maryland 20783Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 434-1884
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton4.78 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Takoma Park Dialysis5.22 miles away1502 University Blvd E Hyattsville Maryland 20783CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (301) 408-1202