Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare turns out to be one of a variety of options to decide among in Staten Island, New York. This nursing home received an overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. As far as we can see, we would struggle to recommend this nursing home. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category is inspections, which is discussed in the next section.
Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
91 Tompkins Avenue,
Staten Island NY 10304
95.05% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Registered Staff Hours
Although this facility's overall score is not a highlight, it received a slightly more favorable score in the area of inspections. We awarded it a B- for this category, which is a decent score. Our inspection ratings are based on several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This means the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of B- in the area. Our nursing rating is mostly tied to the facility's nurse staffing. Based on the data, it looks like this place provides an impressive 4.5 hours per resident daily. This is more nursing care than most nursing homes provide. In computing our grades, we apply more weight to hours performed by more highly trained nurses such as registered or licensed nurses. Lastly, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as minimizing major falls. This place performed admirably in this statistic.
Does this page answer your questions about Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare?
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a solid score in the area of long-term care, where it received a B-. Our long-term care grade is often used to gauge a facility's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents. This nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 1.66 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed is short-term care. This facility received a C for this category. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The real question is whether this adversely impacted quality of care. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of residents that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that it fared respectably with 46.6 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients which suffered from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often linked to poor nursing care. More supervision can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare, 13.02% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression could indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare, 92.45% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility.
In Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Richmond Center for Rehab and Specialty Healthcare, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Staten Island, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Staten Island, New York has 9 other nursing homes
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.71 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.73 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.57 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.32 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.12 miles away506 Sixth Street Brooklyn New York 11215Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 780-3000
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- Jersey City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.77 miles away355 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 915-2000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 6.77 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Carol Molinaro Dialysis Center1.4 miles away800 Castleton Avenue Suite G Staten Island New York 10310CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (718) 816-6455
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc1.65 miles away1139 Hylan Blvd Staten Island New York 10305Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 816-4913
- Davita Richmond Kidney at Home1.7 miles away1366 Victory Boulevard Staten Island New York 10301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 816-6200
- Island Rehabilitative Services-Clove Lakes Extension2.51 miles away25 Fanning Street Staten Island New York 10314Dialysis Stations: 8 (347) 671-8399
- Island Rehabilitative Services, Inc.2.75 miles away470 Seaview Avenue Dialysis Unit Staten Island New York 10305CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 987-5942
- Fkc Bayonne2.89 miles awayDialysis Unit 29 East 29th Street Bayonne New Jersey 07002Dialysis Stations: 14 (201) 858-5358
- Bayridge Sunset Pk Dialysis Ctr3.19 miles away140 58th Street Building B, Box 65 Brooklyn New York 11220CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (718) 567-0255
- Davita Renal Center Bayonne3.45 miles away434-436 Broadway Bayonne New Jersey 07002Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 436-1664