Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Munster, Indiana. It looks like this is a fine facility. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a favorable score. This place definitely has plenty going for it. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its strong short-term care grade, which is addressed in the next section.
Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Munster, Indiana Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Indiana Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Munster, Indiana Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Munster, Indiana Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of earning a strong overall grade, this facility performed well in our short-term care category. We awarded it an impressive grade of A for that category, which is one of our best grades. In computing our short-term care grades, we size up the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This category is typically a fair measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we assessed in this category is the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Adding to its impressive grades, we awarded this nursing home an A- for our inspections rating. Inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this category usually have very few severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this area. When determining a nursing home's nursing grade, we weigh the amount of time nurses spend with residents as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at was long-term care, which proved to be this nursing home's weakest category. We gave this facility a D in this category. Sadly, this category pulled down the facility's overall grade a bit. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. After considering the amount of nursing care, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. We were optimistic to discover that this nursing home vaccinates 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place also keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents who had a fall which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care residents which sustained UTI's. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village, 12.89% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village, 91.48% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that maintained mobility. Some experts believe that mobility is critical to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Rehabilitation Center at Hartsfield Village, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 0.34 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.26 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Franciscan Health DyerAcute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away24 Joliet St Dyer Indiana 46311Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 865-2141
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 5.68 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 7.82 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Ingalls Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.03 miles away1 Ingalls Drive Harvey Illinois 60426Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 333-2300
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 9.37 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- Advocate South Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.57 miles away17800 S Kedzie Ave Hazel Crest Illinois 60429Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 799-8000
- Munster Dialysis Center0.42 miles away10120 Calumet Avenue, Suite 102 Munster Indiana 46321Dialysis Stations: 20 (219) 924-3972
- Davita - Munster1.21 miles away9100 Calumet Ave. Munster Indiana 46321CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 836-1299
- Fmc - Neomedica - Munster2.09 miles away314 Ridge Road Munster Indiana 46321Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 836-9317
- Fmc - Dyer2.74 miles away2150 Gettler Street, Suite 105 Dyer Indiana 46311Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 322-3710
- Fmc - Liberty Dialysis - Hammond3.45 miles away7214 Calumet Avenue Hammond Indiana 46324CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 228-4477
- Fmc - Neomedica - South Holland4.4 miles away17225 S Paxton Ave South Holland Illinois 60473CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (708) 474-8700
- Fmc - Griffith4.47 miles away926 N. Broad Street Griffith Indiana 46319Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 838-7777
- Schererville Dialysis Center4.75 miles away1534 Us Highway 41 Schererville Indiana 46375Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 322-5448