Rehab at River's Edge is a large facility in Raritan, New Jersey. We gave this facility an overall grade of B-. A grade of this caliber requires some respectable scores. Based on all of the relevant data, there are definitely far worse nursing homes out there. The best part of this nursing home's profile was its exemplary inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Rehab at River's Edge
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its relatively modest overall score, we gave this facility an A+ for its inspection grade. This grade is far more impressive than the facility's overall rating. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more impressive category grades was in the category of long-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a B+. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 94.70046 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a great way to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the elderly population. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Rehab at River's Edge?
Moving on to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing rating. In fact, we gave this facility an impressive grade of D. The nursing score consists of quite a few datapoints, many of which are tied to nursing hours. This nursing home offered only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last area, we gave this nursing home a grade of D for the area of short-term care. This was the nursing home's least impressive category grade. Naturally, this grade hurt the nursing home's overall grade a bit. In computing these short-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to devise a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Rehab at River's Edge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Rehab at River's Edge, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percent of long-term stay patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Rehab at River's Edge, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who sustained falls which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Rehab at River's Edge, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. More frequent bathing minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Rehab at River's Edge, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Rehab at River's Edge, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Rehab at River's Edge, 5.95% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Rehab at River's Edge, 91.97% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Rehab at River's Edge, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Rehab at River's Edge, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that maintained mobility. Many argue that mobility is important for patients mental and physical well-being.
In Rehab at River's Edge, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Rehab at River's Edge, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Rehab at River's Edge, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Rehab at River's Edge, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital SomersetAcute Care Hospitals 2.61 miles away110 Rehill Ave Somerville New Jersey 08876Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 685-2200
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.99 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Hunterdon Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.91 miles away2100 Wescott Drive Flemington New Jersey 08822Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 788-6100
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 15.3 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Morristown Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.18 miles away100 Madison Ave Morristown New Jersey 07960Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 971-5000
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.65 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 18.39 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 19.26 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Physicians Dialysis Somerville2.18 miles away1 Route 206 North Somerville New Jersey 08876CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (908) 450-0396
- Davita Hillsborough Dialysis5.04 miles away220 Triangle Road Hillsborough New Jersey 08844Dialysis Stations: 10 (908) 369-0398
- Davita Bridgewater Dialysis Ctr5.49 miles away2121 Route 22 West Bound Brook New Jersey 08805CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (732) 469-7202
- Fresenius Medical Care Piscataway9.08 miles away1135 Easton Ave Somerset New Jersey 08875Dialysis Stations: 18 (732) 220-1043
- Shining Star Davita Somerset Dialysis9.82 miles away240 Churchill Avenue Somerset New Jersey 08873CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (732) 937-5000
- Dci Somerset10.48 miles away950 Hamilton Street Somerset New Jersey 08873Dialysis Stations: 12 (732) 519-6749
- Davita Hamilton Street Dialysis10.52 miles away920 Hamilton Street Suite C-3 Somerset New Jersey 08873Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 220-1593
- Fmc So Plainfield10.98 miles away2201 S Clinton Ave South Plainfield New Jersey 07080Dialysis Stations: 15 (908) 668-8007