Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab is one of only three facilities located in Hackensack, New Jersey. This nursing home turns out to be an A+ facility, which is the highest score that we offer. At the end of the day, this nursing home ought to be a wonderful choice for just about anybody. Finally, this worked out to be a very consistent nursing home with consistently strong scores in all four of the major categories. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Hackensack, New Jersey Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New Jersey Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Hackensack, New Jersey Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively minor. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In fact, nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an A. Our nursing score is based on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab?
Long-term Care Quality
We also would like to emphasize the fact that this facility was awarded an elite score of A in our long-term care area. Facilities that excel in this category typically provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. Once we concluded our assessment of the amount of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is too frequently a deadly condition for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a facility does not roll the dice on this issue. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
In the final category, this facility also was awarded an impressive short-term care rating, with an A. This rounded out a very strong report card. Short-term care ratings are important for patients in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percentage of long-term stay patients which suffered a fall which resulted in serious injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric may also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term patients who are given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab, 5.95% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some would argue this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab, 91.97% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing & Rehab, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements.
- Hackensack University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.35 miles away30 Prospect Ave Hackensack New Jersey 07601Voluntary non-profit - Private(551) 996-2000
- Holy Name Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.43 miles away718 Teaneck Rd Teaneck New Jersey 07666Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 833-3000
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.51 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.83 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- Bergen New Bridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.53 miles away230 East Ridgewood Ave Paramus New Jersey 07652Government - Local(201) 967-4000
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.2 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Palisades Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away7600 River Rd North Bergen New Jersey 07047Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 854-5000
- Davita Hackensack1.23 miles away113 West Essex Street Maywood New Jersey 07607CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (201) 843-3875
- Teterboro Dialysis1.26 miles away502 Route 46 West Teterboro New Jersey 07608Dialysis Stations: 18 (201) 288-0249
- Fresenius Medical Care Hackensack1.4 miles away458 Passaic Street Hackensack New Jersey 07601Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 342-0801
- Fmc Bergen Rcc1.64 miles away647 Cedar Lane Teaneck New Jersey 07666CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (201) 692-1113
- Fmc Bergen Renal Home2.16 miles away222 Cedar Lane Suite 103 Teaneck New Jersey 07666Dialysis Stations: 2 (201) 692-0004
- Holy Name Renal Care Center, LLC2.35 miles away718 Teaneck Road Teaneck New Jersey 07666CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (201) 833-1701
- Fresenius Medical Care Paramus3.74 miles away37 West Century Road Suite 108 Paramus New Jersey 07652CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 262-0429
- Davita Renal Center of Englewood4.01 miles away300 Grand Avenue Suite 103 Englewood New Jersey 07631Dialysis Stations: 3 (201) 731-3149