Regency Care of Silver Spring is an average-sized facility in Silver Spring, Maryland. This is a decent nursing home with a B- overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Silver Spring. In spite of Silver Spring featuring 14 other nursing homes to select from, this facility turns out to be a quality option. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection rating, which you can find in the next section.
Regency Care of Silver Spring
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
9101 Second Avenue,
Silver Spring MD 20910
74.23% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it received an elite inspection score. Its inspection grade was far superior to its overall score. In our inspections category, we gave it an A-. Our inspection grades are based on items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home was assessed 14 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to resident health or safety. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
We also would like to point out that this nursing home was awarded a strong short-term care grade. In fact, we awarded it one of our best grades in that area with a grade of A-. In forming these short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to formulate a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. This facility provided more physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most nursing homes. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. In addition to excelling in the area of physical therapy hours, we found that it performed as well as just about any nursing home in the country in this area with 57.4 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Regency Care of Silver Spring?
An additional reason we rated this facility so highly is that it earned an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. The nursing rating weighs many components, most of which are associated with levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 3.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was long-term care. We gave it an F in this area, which is a bottom of the barrel score. This is certainly a significant disappointment. For prospective residents in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are very important. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinated 98.02956 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 1.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Regency Care of Silver Spring Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Regency Care of Silver Spring, 10.37% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Regency Care of Silver Spring, 2.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Regency Care of Silver Spring, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients who had urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Regency Care of Silver Spring, 13.07% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Regency Care of Silver Spring, 14.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Regency Care of Silver Spring, 9.93% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients showing depressive symptoms. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Regency Care of Silver Spring, 92.59% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Regency Care of Silver Spring, 19.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Regency Care of Silver Spring, 30.1% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Regency Care of Silver Spring, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Regency Care of Silver Spring, 30.1 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Regency Care of Silver Spring, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Regency Care of Silver Spring, 73.71% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some believe that this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Silver Spring, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Silver Spring, Maryland has 13 other nursing homes
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.87 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 2.94 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.62 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.5 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 5.67 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.09 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Howard University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.22 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20060Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 745-6100
- Holy Cross Hospital0.18 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1500 Forest Glen Rd Silver Spring Maryland 20910Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 754-7560
- Davita - Silver Spring1.38 miles away8040 Georgia Ave Ste 150 Silver Spring Maryland 20910CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (301) 608-8961
- Bma - Wheaton2.11 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton2.79 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Rai - Chillum-Washington3.04 miles away6411 Chillum Pl Nw Washington District of Columbia 20012CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (202) 291-2191
- Fmc - Takoma Park3.44 miles away6495 New Hampshire Ave Ste Ll 100 Hyattsville Maryland 20783Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 559-1040
- Takoma Park Dialysis3.49 miles away1502 University Blvd E Hyattsville Maryland 20783CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (301) 408-1202
- Howard University Dialysis Center, LLC3.76 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Tower Building Suite 1119b Washington District of Columbia 20060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (202) 865-7365