Regency at Shelby Township is an average-sized nursing home located in Utica, Michigan. This is a very good nursing home. We awarded this it an overall grade of B+, which is a well above average rating. Based on our assessment, this nursing home has quite a bit going for it. This facility is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any bad scores in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Regency at Shelby Township
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Utica senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this proved to be a quality nursing home is that it received a very impressive short-term care score. Short-term care is its best category. In that category, we awarded this nursing home an impressive grade of A-. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
This nursing home also excelled in inspections. We awarded it a grade of B+ for that category, which is one of our best scores. This is one of the few facilities with an overall score in this range which earned multiple category grades this high. Our inspection scores account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this category tend to have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Regency at Shelby Township?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. In determining our nursing grades, we analyze both nursing hours and the skill levels of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth area, this nursing home received an acceptable long-term care rating. While this was not quite as strong as some of its other scores, this is really not a major area of concern. For prospective residents seeking a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. Once we concluded our assessment of the amount of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinated 98.92857 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Regency at Shelby Township Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Regency at Shelby Township, 8.87% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients who developed pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Regency at Shelby Township, 2.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who experienced falls leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Regency at Shelby Township, 2.23% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric could also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Regency at Shelby Township, 13.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Regency at Shelby Township, 19.66% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are typically used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Regency at Shelby Township, 3.38% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Regency at Shelby Township, 91.02% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Regency at Shelby Township, 12.09% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Regency at Shelby Township, 13.78% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Regency at Shelby Township, 1.65 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Regency at Shelby Township, 13.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Regency at Shelby Township, 11.28 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Regency at Shelby Township, 77.57% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Henry Ford Macomb HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.82 miles away15855 Nineteen Mile Rd Clinton Township Michigan 48038Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 263-2300
- Ascension Providence Rochester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.83 miles away1101 W University Drive Rochester Michigan 48307Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 652-5000
- Mclaren MacombAcute Care Hospitals 8.6 miles away1000 Harrington St Mount Clemens Michigan 48043Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 493-8000
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.41 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- St Joseph Mercy OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 12.27 miles away44405 Woodward Ave Pontiac Michigan 48341Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 858-3000
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 12.32 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Mclaren OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 12.79 miles away50 N Perry St Pontiac Michigan 48342Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 338-5000
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.03 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Fmc - Shelby1.93 miles away56065 Van Dyke Ave Utica Michigan 48316CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (586) 677-2008
- Fms Beaumonth Health, LLC4.1 miles away44300 Dequindre Rd Sterling Heights Michigan 48314Dialysis Stations: 22 (248) 964-0100
- Clinton Township Dialysis of Davita4.8 miles away15918 Nineteen Mile Rd Suite 110 Clinton Township Michigan 48038CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (586) 412-9195
- Macomb Regional Dialysis Center4.8 miles away16151 19 Mile Rd Ste 200 Clinton Township Michigan 48038CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (586) 263-8350
- Fmc Dialysis - Romeo Plank5.23 miles away46591 Romeo Plank Rd Ste 101 Macomb Michigan 48044Dialysis Stations: 16 (586) 226-6150
- Fms Beaumont Health, LLC5.75 miles away6700 N Rochester Rd, Suite Gi-14 Rochester Michigan 48306Dialysis Stations: 8 (248) 650-1533
- Fms Rochester Hills, LLC6.29 miles away1406 Walton Blvd Rochester Michigan 48309Dialysis Stations: 13 (248) 608-5455
- Rochester Hills Dialysis of Davita6.67 miles away1886 W Auburn Rd Suite 100 Rochester Michigan 48309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 299-7901