Regency at Shelby Township is an average-sized nursing home located in Utica, Michigan. We gave this nursing home an A- overall grade, ranking it in the top third of all nursing homes in the nation. You simply can not do much better than this nursing home. This nursing home's strong report card was highlighted by its short-term care grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Regency at Shelby Township
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to performing well overall, this nursing home received high marks in the category of short-term care as well. As a result, it received our highest score in that category with a score of A+. In computing our short-term care grades, we assess a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This score is more often than not a fair measure of a facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this facility an A- for our inspections rating. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Regency at Shelby Township?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in that category. When calculating a facility's nursing score, we look at the amount of time nurses spend with residents and the level of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Michigan in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of moving a patient at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed is long-term care. This nursing home was given a better than average long-term care grade this year, with a C. Although this isn't as dominant as several of its other grades, this remains a respectable rating for that category. Our long-term care grades are more meaningful for those requiring more traditional services related to activities of daily living. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 99.65035 percent of its residents. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Regency at Shelby Township Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Regency at Shelby Township, 8.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Regency at Shelby Township, 2.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who suffered falls which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Regency at Shelby Township, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Regency at Shelby Township, 13.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents which are administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Regency at Shelby Township, 18.73% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Regency at Shelby Township, 3.47% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Regency at Shelby Township, 91.4% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Regency at Shelby Township, 12.4% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Regency at Shelby Township, 19.67% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Regency at Shelby Township, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Regency at Shelby Township, 19.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Regency at Shelby Township, 10.71 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Regency at Shelby Township, 76.5% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Utica, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Utica, Michigan has 3 other nursing homes
- Henry Ford Macomb HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.82 miles away15855 Nineteen Mile Rd Clinton Township Michigan 48038Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 263-2300
- Ascension Providence Rochester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.83 miles away1101 W University Drive Rochester Michigan 48307Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 652-5000
- Mclaren MacombAcute Care Hospitals 8.6 miles away1000 Harrington St Mount Clemens Michigan 48043Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 493-8000
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.41 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- St Joseph Mercy OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 12.27 miles away44405 Woodward Ave Pontiac Michigan 48341Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 858-3000
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 12.32 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Mclaren OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 12.79 miles away50 N Perry St Pontiac Michigan 48342Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 338-5000
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.03 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Fmc - Shelby1.93 miles away56065 Van Dyke Ave Utica Michigan 48316CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (586) 677-2008
- Fms Beaumonth Health, LLC4.1 miles away44300 Dequindre Rd Sterling Heights Michigan 48314Dialysis Stations: 22 (248) 964-0100
- Clinton Township Dialysis of Davita4.8 miles away15918 Nineteen Mile Rd Suite 110 Clinton Township Michigan 48038CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (586) 412-9195
- Macomb Regional Dialysis Center4.8 miles away16151 19 Mile Rd Ste 200 Clinton Township Michigan 48038CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (586) 263-8350
- Fmc Dialysis - Romeo Plank5.23 miles away46591 Romeo Plank Rd Ste 101 Macomb Michigan 48044Dialysis Stations: 16 (586) 226-6150
- Fms Beaumont Health, LLC5.75 miles away6700 N Rochester Rd, Suite Gi-14 Rochester Michigan 48306Dialysis Stations: 8 (248) 650-1533
- Fms Rochester Hills, LLC6.29 miles away1406 Walton Blvd Rochester Michigan 48309Dialysis Stations: 13 (248) 608-5455
- Rochester Hills Dialysis of Davita6.67 miles away1886 W Auburn Rd Suite 100 Rochester Michigan 48309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 299-7901