Redwood Terrace Health Center is a small non-profit nursing home located in Escondido, California. With an A+ overall grade, we ranked this nursing home in the top five percent of all facilities in the United States. Based on our assessment, you can not go wrong with this facility. As you will see below, this place performed equally well in our category ratings. We gave it a straight A report card!
Redwood Terrace Health Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Escondido, California Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in California Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Escondido, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home an A+ for its short-term care rating. In calculating our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This score is more often than not a meaningful assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Adding to an already impressive profile, this facility also received virtually flawless health inspections in recent years. As a result, we awarded it an A+ inspection grade. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Redwood Terrace Health Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next category, this first-rate nursing home also was superb in the area of long-term care. In this category, it received a A+. Only a small group of nursing homes performed better in this area. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are kept in good health. One of the factors we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. This is a great way to minimize negative health outcomes for the nursing home population. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In our last area, this facility also was given a very strong nursing score, with an A. This wrapped up a straight A profile. Our nursing score analyzes the facility's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with residents. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Redwood Terrace Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who have sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can also be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Some argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility. Some would argue that the ability to move around is important for patients physical and mental well-being.
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Escondido, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Escondido, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.41 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.73 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 12.51 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Tri-City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.29 miles away4002 Vista Way Oceanside California 92056Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 724-8411
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 17.09 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Nh Camp PendletonAcute Care - Department of Defense 19.64 miles away200 Mercy Circle Camp Pendleton Camp Pendleton California 92055Department of Defense(760) 725-1288
- Davita-Escondido Dialysis1.06 miles away203 E. Second Avenue Escondido California 92025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (760) 743-4401
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center2.69 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170
- Fmc-Rancho6.56 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis10.22 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North11.53 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Fmc-Buena Creek11.58 miles away950 Hacienda Drive Vista California 92081CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (760) 631-7900
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis12.46 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323
- Sanderling Dialysis of Ramona12.68 miles away2102 Main Street Ramona California 92065Dialysis Stations: 12 (844) 375-7365