With an address in Escondido, California, Redwood Terrace Health Center is one of seven nursing homes in the city. Sporting an overall rating of A+, we deemed this nursing home to be the very best facility in Escondido. An overall score in this range is a good indication of a superb facility. We couldn't find many bad things to say about this place. Its ratings are just impeccable. Headlining this place's exemplary profile is its short-term care grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Redwood Terrace Health Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
710 W 13th Ave,
Escondido CA 92025
65.42% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a great overall score, this facility also received an A+ in short-term care. In our short-term care grade, we endeavor to forge a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze the nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. This facility excelled at the highest level in the two key staffing areas we looked at. It offered about 50% more care from physical therapists and registered nurses than the average nursing home. This is an excellent sign. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. On top of excelling in the area of physical therapy staffing, we found that it performed as well as just about any facility with 65.9 percent of its patients returning home.
This nursing home also received an A+ inspection grade, making it one of the rare places to receive multiple A+'s in our category grades. This is based on the facility's inspections. An A+ in this area is one of the biggest complements we can pay to a nursing home. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Redwood Terrace Health Center?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A. In calculating our nursing scores, we factor in both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the training levels of those nurses. This place provided 4.9 hours of nursing care per patient each day, which is among the highest figures in the country. A significant percentage of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which are one of the most highly skilled levels of nurses. We are really impressed by both of these statistics. In addition to looking at levels of nursing care, we also looked at a few quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these datapoints as reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Long-term Care Quality
The fourth area we rated is long-term care, where this facility received a grade of A. This finished off a very favorable report card. Not many nursing homes earned an A- or higher in in each area we assessed. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the elite quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff at this nursing home, we also were impressed by the facility's record for vaccinations. For example, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Redwood Terrace Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents which are administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 4.32% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 96.21% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Escondido, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Escondido, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.41 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.73 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 12.51 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Tri-City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.29 miles away4002 Vista Way Oceanside California 92056Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 724-8411
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 17.09 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Nh Camp PendletonAcute Care - Department of Defense 19.64 miles away200 Mercy Circle Camp Pendleton Camp Pendleton California 92055Department of Defense(760) 725-1288
- Davita-Escondido Dialysis1.06 miles away203 E. Second Avenue Escondido California 92025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (760) 743-4401
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center2.69 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170
- Fmc-Rancho6.56 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis10.22 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North11.53 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Fmc-Buena Creek11.58 miles away950 Hacienda Drive Vista California 92081CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (760) 631-7900
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis12.46 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323
- Sanderling Dialysis of Ramona12.68 miles away2102 Main Street Ramona California 92065Dialysis Stations: 12 (844) 375-7365