Redwood Terrace Health Center is a small non-profit nursing home located in Escondido, California. With an A+ overall grade, we ranked this nursing home number 85 in the country. This puts it in the top one percentile of all facilities. Based on our assessment, you can not go wrong with this facility. As you will see below, this place performed equally well in our category ratings. We gave it a straight A report card!
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Redwood Terrace Health Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Escondido senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Escondido, California Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in California Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Escondido, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Nursing homes that do well in this category tend to provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 98 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a grade of A+ for its short-term care grade. With our short-term care score, we endeavor to craft a sound gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we considered in this area is the number of patients that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Redwood Terrace Health Center?
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Nursing ratings are largely based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Turning to our inspection category, this facility also excelled in this area, where it received yet another A+. This made it one of the only nursing homes in California to receive A+'s in every category. Our inspection scores are tied to many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Redwood Terrace Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 2.41% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 10% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 1.03% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that have experienced a UTI. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 4.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 9.41% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 3.16% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 95.43% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 10.71% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 30.84% of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who maintained mobility.
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 30.84% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 15.64% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Redwood Terrace Health Center, 73.74% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Escondido, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Escondido, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.41 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.73 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 12.51 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Tri-City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.29 miles away4002 Vista Way Oceanside California 92056Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 724-8411
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 17.09 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Nh Camp PendletonAcute Care - Department of Defense 19.64 miles away200 Mercy Circle Camp Pendleton Camp Pendleton California 92055Department of Defense(760) 725-1288
- Davita-Escondido Dialysis1.06 miles away203 E. Second Avenue Escondido California 92025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (760) 743-4401
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center2.69 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170
- Fmc-Rancho6.56 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis10.22 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North11.53 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Fmc-Buena Creek11.58 miles away950 Hacienda Drive Vista California 92081CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (760) 631-7900
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis12.46 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323
- Sanderling Dialysis of Ramona12.68 miles away2102 Main Street Ramona California 92065Dialysis Stations: 12 (844) 375-7365