Redwood of Kansas City South is an average-sized nursing home located in Kansas City, Missouri. This facility was awarded an A- overall, which is one of the top ratings that we offer. A score in this range requires excellent scores across the board. Even in a city offering 29 other nursing homes, this facility looks like a great option. This facility's impressive profile was highlighted by its nursing grade, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Redwood of Kansas City South
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Respiratory Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. We weighed the skill-level of nurses working for the facility, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses spent with residents, in computing our rating in this area. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its top-shelf resume, this nursing home also excelled in our long-term care category. In fact, it received a grade of A- in the category. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Redwood of Kansas City South?
This facility also earned first-rate inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our more favorable scores in that area, with a grade of B+. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some are quite minor. While this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed proved to be this nursing home's weakest area. Nevertheless, even in its weakest link we still awarded it an acceptable grade of B- for our short-term care category. Our short-term care grade is often employed to gauge a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To offer highly graded rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to have better levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 4.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Redwood of Kansas City South Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Redwood of Kansas City South, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Redwood of Kansas City South, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Closer supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Redwood of Kansas City South, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Redwood of Kansas City South, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Redwood of Kansas City South, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Redwood of Kansas City South, 4.19% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts argue this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Redwood of Kansas City South, 88.53% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Redwood of Kansas City South, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Redwood of Kansas City South, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Redwood of Kansas City South, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Redwood of Kansas City South, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Redwood of Kansas City South, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Redwood of Kansas City South, 72.81% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Kansas City, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Kansas City, Missouri has 28 other nursing homes
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.15 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.5 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 4.5 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.32 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.08 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 7 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Swope Parkway0.35 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Baptist0.35 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Kansas City Dialysis & Transplant Center2.14 miles away2340 E Meyer Blvd Building 1, Suite #100 Kansas City Missouri 64132CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (816) 444-2098
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Saint Joseph3.21 miles away650 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (816) 941-0595
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - State Line Dialysis3.31 miles away621 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Dialysis Stations: 8 (816) 942-3650
- Swope Dialysis4.45 miles away4407 East 50th Terrace Kansas City Missouri 64130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (816) 924-1201
- Rai - Rainbow Blvd - Westwood4.56 miles away4720 Rainbow Blvd Suite 200 Mission Kansas 66205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (913) 403-0441
- Concerto Kansas, LLC4.84 miles away6740 W 121st St Suite 100 Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 1 (913) 283-8063