Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab is in Independence, Missouri, a city with 123,373 people. This nursing home received an F, which is definitely concerning in our grading scheme. If you are not satisfied with this facility's mediocre overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are five other nursing homes in Independence. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
810 East Walnut,
Independence MO 64050
81.49% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. Our inspection grades are tied to pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Long-term Care Quality
Remarkably, we gave this facility a grade of B- for our long-term care rating, which isn't too bad of a score. For residents seeking a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. Once we concluded our assessment of the volume of care provided by nurses, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 93.72881 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Nevertheless, this facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab?
Among this nursing home's several poor grades was its F in the area of nursing care. Our nursing grade weighs many datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the number of hours nurses spent with patients. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were significantly below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed was short-term care. This facility received an abysmal grade of F in that category. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Given its grade in this area, we weren't surprised to find that this facility was well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we looked at. Frankly, this was about what we expected to find. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.3 percent of its residents returning home. This was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab, 9.2% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab, 3.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that experienced a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab, 3.29% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab, 20.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab, 24.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab, 5.4% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Increased rates of depression may indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab, 86.07% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab, 15.8% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing. Many would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab, 13.34% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab, 1.86 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab, 13.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab, 13.27 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carmel Hills Nursing and Rehab, 71.67% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Independence, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Independence, Missouri has 5 other nursing homes
- Centerpoint Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4 miles away19600 East 39th Street Independence Missouri 64057Proprietary(816) 698-7000
- Truman Medical Center LakewoodAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away7900 Lee's Summit Rd Kansas City Missouri 64139Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-7000
- St Mary's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.55 miles away201 Nw R D Mize Rd Blue Springs Missouri 64014Voluntary non-profit - Church(816) 228-5900
- North Kansas City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.12 miles away2800 Clay Edwards Drive Kansas City Missouri 64116Government - Local(816) 691-2000
- Truman Medical Center Hospital HillAcute Care Hospitals 9.39 miles away2301 Holmes Street Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-1000
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 9.55 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.22 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- Saint Luke's East HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.36 miles away100 N E Saint Luke's Boulevard Lees Summit Missouri 64086Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 347-5000
- Independence Dialysis Center2.57 miles away1135 S. Claremont Independence Missouri 64054Dialysis Stations: 16 (816) 836-1220
- Fmc - Centerpoint2.95 miles away19401 E 37th Terrace Court South Suite 200 Independence Missouri 64057Dialysis Stations: 14 (816) 795-6559
- Eastland Dialysis4.35 miles away19101 E Valley View Pkwy Ste E Independence Missouri 64055Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 795-6018
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Raytown6.14 miles away11503 E 63rd St Kansas City Missouri 64133Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 353-3080
- Davita Blue Ridge Dialysis7.18 miles away8608 E 63rd St Kansas City Missouri 64133Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 353-6100
- Swope Dialysis8.07 miles away4407 East 50th Terrace Kansas City Missouri 64130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (816) 924-1201
- Northland Dialysis9.15 miles away2750 Clay Edwards Dr. #100 Kansas City Missouri 64116CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (816) 842-2056
- Fmc - Blue Springs9.33 miles away505 Ne Adams Dairy Parkway Suite B Blue Springs Missouri 64014CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (816) 229-2400