Rae-Ann Westlake is one of seven available facilities located in Westlake, Ohio. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a decent rating. This grade is not too far off the city grade for Westlake, which is a B-. This nursing home is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of our four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Westlake senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this is a decent facility is that it earned a favorable inspection grade. In that category, we gave this nursing home a B+. Our inspection grades account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. This is a good sign for this nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities next most favorable category is long-term care. We gave it a B- in this category. This is essentially a middle of the road grade in this area. With our long-term care grade, we weigh the sheer quantity of services provided by a facility, as well as a few quality measures. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 83.21168 percent of its patients. This is many points below what we expected. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Rae-Ann Westlake?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of C. When calculating our nursing grades, we assess both nursing hours and the skill levels of the nurses. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a low total compared with most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures. While this nursing home got docked a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in a few of these quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this metric. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of turning residents even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we rated was short-term care. We awarded this facility a grade of C in that category. In our short-term care grade, we endeavor to forge a valuable barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The question is whether this also affected quality of care. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients that eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 4.7 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Rae-Ann Westlake Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Rae-Ann Westlake, 7.26% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Rae-Ann Westlake, 4.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. More supervision minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Rae-Ann Westlake, 1.48% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Rae-Ann Westlake, 8.66% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Rae-Ann Westlake, 20.44% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Rae-Ann Westlake, 6.48% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Rae-Ann Westlake, 86.81% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Rae-Ann Westlake, 8.49% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Rae-Ann Westlake, 5.56% of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Rae-Ann Westlake, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Rae-Ann Westlake, 5.56% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Rae-Ann Westlake, 16.02% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Rae-Ann Westlake, 86.05% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Westlake, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Westlake, Ohio has 6 other nursing homes
- Uh St John Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.08 miles away29000 Center Ridge Road Westlake Ohio 44145Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 835-8000
- Fairview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44111Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 476-7000
- Southwest General Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.34 miles away18697 Bagley Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 816-6701
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.96 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 12.26 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.65 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Mercy Health-Lorain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.58 miles away3700 Kolbe Road Lorain Ohio 44053Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 960-4000
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 16.42 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Fmc - Westlake Dialysis Center1.45 miles away26024 Detroit Road Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 23 (440) 835-1139
- Center for Dialysis Care Westside Home Care LLC2.21 miles away24651 Center Ridge Rd Suite 450 Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 10 (440) 899-2808
- Davita - Villa of Great Northern4.39 miles away22710 Fairview Center Dr., Ste 100 Cleveland Ohio 44126Dialysis Stations: 7 (440) 734-4630
- Davita - Hilliard Dialysis5.23 miles away19133 Hilliard Blvd Rocky River Ohio 44116CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (216) 712-4700
- Center for Dialysis Care Middleburg Heights7.28 miles away6749 Eastland Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 234-3916
- Fmc - Lakewood Ohio Dialysis7.73 miles away13900 Detroit Avenue Lakewood Ohio 44107Dialysis Stations: 12 (216) 221-3034
- Fmc - Cleveland Clinic West8.25 miles away14670 Snow Road Brookpark Ohio 44142CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (216) 267-1451
- Fmc - Dialysis Specialists of Northeast Ohio8.27 miles away1070 Abbe Road North Elyria Ohio 44035Dialysis Stations: 21 (440) 365-8165